Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

African Clawed Frog Sexing

EasternNewtLove

Reaction score
DSC_0443-4.jpg

These are my two African Clawed frogs. I got them at the mall. Obviously, the pink/orange one was dyed, and obviously, they were dyed. I don't agree with dying but I could pass the one legged one up. Poor little guy D: and s/he would have been lonely without a friend. So, boy? Or Girl?

I hope to be able to breed them if the are the opposite sex.

xxianxx

Reaction score
They look a bit young to be sexed, as they mature the males will develop black palms and forearms whilst the females will probally be bigger and fatter in the body and on their bottom will be a small tube like structure called an ovipositer where she lays her eggs.

Last edited:

Chamaeleo

Reaction score
I think both of them are females. At their cloaca the mentioned structure can be seen now (it's not a tube, but exactly two small lobes). I've got some experience in sexing young clawed frogs, because at the pet shops only juveniles can usually be bought (in my country).
Can you tell me the size of your frog?

Chamaeleo

Reaction score
At that size sexes can be distinguished, so you could start thinking to get a male;)
Males lack any extension at their cloaca from upper view.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I've sexed lots of clawed frogs and Pipidae. Those pictures do not show the claocal flap clearly to me. I would not look at them and say they are definitely females. At a quick glance my guess would be males or to young to sex.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!