Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Breeding attempt at Paddletails

Geomander

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

This is my first post on Caudata although I have been a lurker for some time. I am currently attempting to breed my male and female paddletail newts that I have owned for 12 and 10 years respectively. I have been keeping them in the garage witth air temps usually remaining between 30-50 degrees this winter. They have a fast flowing filter setup and plenty of rock hides.

I plan on not adding anymore water and then introducing “warmer” water as spring approaches to induce breeding. They are also being kept near a window in hopes that as daylight increases during spring it will induce breeding as well. Also despite the very cold temperatures the newts have remained very active and are still taking food. Let me know if anyone has any advice and do y’all think I should separate them during this time and then reintroduce or should it be fine to house them together?

Also I plan on attaching pictures to this thread as soon as I get home. I thought I could upload pictures from my phone, but it seems to not be working.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What you are doing sounds good. I haven't worked with this species, so i don't have any advice on whether or not to separate them. i have worked with other species that I have kept in a garage during the winter months.

Keep them well fed. As you noticed, they are still active an eating, and you definitely want them plump.

I don't think you'll need to introduce warmer water, the change in temps as we head into late winter should be enough.

Good luck and keep us posted!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!