Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tail Injury And Infection Maybe?

AliTheAxie

Reaction score
Hello everybody! I havent been on this site for long but I got an axolotl last October and everything has been going well. Until yesterday. I took my axie out of her tank into her feeding container and I noticed her tail was hurt. I think she got it caught on one of her hides. I've been reading about what to do on this site and I have put her in a clean container that I use while I clean her tank. I put her in the fridge (the temp is about 50°F/10°C). I took her out of the fridge this morning to clean the container and give her fresh water in the container. I noticed in the container there was feces, which is because I was able to feed her yesterday, but there was also small green floaties and slightly bigger yellow floaties. Obviously I have her water dechlorinated but I'm concerned now that it's because she has an infection on her tail? If anyone could give me any advice it would be a big help! Do you think I need to take her to the vet?? This is the first time this has happened to her and I'm very worried!

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
infection will present as swelling, redness, an inability for the wound to heal and/or refusal of food.
agree that pics would help, if you have a golden axolotl the yellow could have been dead skin but it could be a lot of other things too

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1