Tigers from Singapore?

Essad96

Reaction score
Country
Kuwait
Display Name
Essa
Coming from a small desert country, you don't usually get much newts or salamanders here. They're very rare here since I'm guessing they don't survive shipment. However you occasionally get something, although almost exclusively from China (warties, paddletails and orientalis). You can order some CB's yourself from USA or UK but you need a special license and shipping is really expensive. (Ordered an adult female S.S.S from the states and it cost me about 25 kuwaiti dinars/ 80-11 dollars) What really surprised me though was when a petshop here bought a shipment of about 10 banded tigers. Ofc being the enthusiastic caudate that I am, I had to get some. I wanted to ask about where they were shipped from, out of excitement and curiosity. I did expect them to probably be wild caught, but here's the surprise... The guy swears that he shipped them from Singapore. Yes. Singapore. That hot, humid, tropical country where most of your freshwater tropical fish comes from. I obviously didn't believe him, theres no way any salamander, let alone a tiger, can survive those conditions. What do you think guys? Do you think he was telling the truth? If they really are from Singapore, can we assume theyre captive bred like the fish they ship? Sorry for the long post, its my first.

I think some WC species end up going through Singapore after they've been collected from round the world, from there, they are offered on lists along with the tropical fish that are available to the wholesalers in different countrys.

Last edited:
You may be right, must be why they were thinner than average. I'll fatten them up in no time though! Other than that, they were surprisingly in excellent condition (which is why I had hopes that they'd be CB :D )

Could you add some photo's of them so we can admire them please :)

W.C. tiger salamanders are one of the few salamanders that can be caught in bulk in the U.S. and exported. They can freely be shipped to most states and can easily be shipped to a state that has a USFW export port. It's no surprise they would wind up going through Singapore.

Here you go Julia, a pic of them taken from the shop's instagram themselves. It was their first time selling them, they gave them a tank with 3 inches of water and a heater. Had to explain to them what they were doing wrong, hopefully they listened.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160814-004458.jpg
    Screenshot_20160814-004458.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 422
Coming from a small desert country, you don't usually get much newts or salamanders here. They're very rare here since I'm guessing they don't survive shipment. However you occasionally get something, although almost exclusively from China (warties, paddletails and orientalis). You can order some CB's yourself from USA or UK but you need a special license and shipping is really expensive. (Ordered an adult female S.S.S from the states and it cost me about 25 kuwaiti dinars/ 80-11 dollars) What really surprised me though was when a petshop here bought a shipment of about 10 banded tigers. Ofc being the enthusiastic caudate that I am, I had to get some. I wanted to ask about where they were shipped from, out of excitement and curiosity. I did expect them to probably be wild caught, but here's the surprise... The guy swears that he shipped them from Singapore. Yes. Singapore. That hot, humid, tropical country where most of your freshwater tropical fish comes from. I obviously didn't believe him, theres no way any salamander, let alone a tiger, can survive those conditions. What do you think guys? Do you think he was telling the truth? If they really are from Singapore, can we assume theyre captive bred like the fish they ship? Sorry for the long post, its my first.

Hmm, interesting. Do you think they'd export to Jordan if given the chance?

Certainly! Alot of the exotic animals brought into Kuwait are actually from Jordan. Check the instagram accounts of pet shops in your area, thats how I found my babies haha. Heres a pic of my tiger, still haven't named him yet, but I'm happy to see him more comfortable in his enclosure and not burrowing in the substrate (like when I first placed him here)

Attachments

• IMG-20160815-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20160815-WA0009.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 277
these are Ambystoma mavortium mavortium, just for the info ;-)

Thank you! I knew that they were T. Mavortium but I didn't know there was different sub-species as well. Thanks for letting me know now :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back