Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Spasms, shaking and floating?

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
The other night one of my clawed frogs gave me quite a bad scare. She slowly started spasming in her legs and it soon spread to her whole body and she was shaking and floating belly up at the surface. It was very late at night, and most posts I found with similar symptoms had proved fatal, so I decided that she was past saving and I would deal with her in the morning. But when I got up, she was just fine. She is still doing absolutely fine. I have no idea what could I’ve caused it. Here are some pics of her now, her blue eyes still concern me, but she has had those since I got her. Anyone have any idea what could have caused it, and if it will happen again?

Attachments

• E51134B2-A2C6-4E31-9529-F25D6B680B14.jpg
    E51134B2-A2C6-4E31-9529-F25D6B680B14.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 934
  • 7EFF43EA-5FDF-4D02-BA2A-B992A9E2C7DB.jpg
    7EFF43EA-5FDF-4D02-BA2A-B992A9E2C7DB.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 641

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea of what could be causing it? I read somewhere that foggy eyes could be a sign of a severe infection, but if that were the case I feel like her condition over the past month would have degraded, but she has been getting bigger and seems very healthy most of the time.

merman

Reaction score
Frogs frequently do those sort of strange "pushing" and "kicking" behaviors when trying to shed their skins (which they get a free meal out of). I suspect your frog was in an awkward position when you turned on the light(?) and perhaps froze but still had the desire to shed and grow. In any event, I'm glad she's fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1