The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Old 8th May 2018   #1
RoreyRoreyRorey

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 2
Rep: RoreyRoreyRorey has given good advice and informationRoreyRoreyRorey has given good advice and information
Default African Clawed Frog Croaking

Hi! My African Clawed Frog has been croaking and calling a lot from underwater, but according to my parents, only when I am in the room. Is this a sign of a health issue or does he think I am a female frog for some reason? Heís grown fast, only an inch or two when I got him but now he is nearly the size of my palm 5 months later!

RoreyRoreyRorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2018   #2
PhilbertCoffee

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: PhilbertCoffee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: African Clawed Frog Croaking

I'm no expert, but my guess is since they don't see well, he hears the vibration when people are walking in the room and thinks food may be coming. Have your parents stomp around in there without you and see what happens. If he doesn't react, then he is in love and you will have to marry him

PhilbertCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018   #3
RoreyRoreyRorey

Nationality:
Rep: RoreyRoreyRorey has given good advice and informationRoreyRoreyRorey has given good advice and information

Froggo is croaking more than ever before. 24/7. Should I try to get him a buddy? Also I am still curious, should I be worried about his black hands? He doesn’t mind it, but it looks like a ammonia burn. There was an ammonia spike a few weeks ago and his hands turned blacker. The problem has been resolved, there is no more ammonia, but his hands are still black. His appetite sure hasn’t diminished either, he’s getting enourmous, nearly 5 inches in length at this point.

Videos of him Croaking
https://youtu.be/VzHjlywbVPc
https://youtu.be/bn6meIohCr8
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	52EA1646-62DF-48C8-9F68-BFFD98CAFAA0.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	357.3 KB
ID:	53420   Click image for larger version

Name:	36061CE5-F787-46BB-A269-ECB1DB68ACAA.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	353.3 KB
ID:	53421  

Last edited by RoreyRoreyRorey; 7th June 2018 at 17:37. Reason: Add videos of him Croaking
Old 10th June 2018   #4
nai live
(xxianxx)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

It's calling for a mate. They do this often as adults but can be triggered by water changes of high pressure fronts. I can't say I have heard of them calling for food before.
Black hands and forearms are the signs of a sexually mature male, it's fine.

Old 10th June 2018   #5
RoreyRoreyRorey

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxianxx View Post
It's calling for a mate. They do this often as adults but can be triggered by water changes of high pressure fronts. I can't say I have heard of them calling for food before.
Black hands and forearms are the signs of a sexually mature male, it's fine.
Interesting! I didnít know most of that. I had thought he was a male, but began to suspect female just because he is about 5 inches now and usually males are smaller.
Glad to hear it isnít ammonia burn!
He calls all the time, but it gets louder and more rapid and he starts jumping at the glass when people go by his tank.

Tags
african clawed frog