Stressed ???

malibu barbie

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
I got a lilltle rescue axie (Axel-Lotte) 3 days ago from a friendwho works at a pet-shop.​

The first day I put him/her in a tank with no substrate or filter - only a hide
Yesteday I took Axel-Lotte up, put some fine riversand in the bottom, put in a filter (called a StingRay, i dont know if you know it) and reused 100% of the water from the days before. I testet the water and the temp and all is just perfect.​

After i changed the tank and put in the filter Axel-Lotte seems unhappy.​

It stays in one corner and seems kinda stressed.​

At first i thought that the reason for this behaviour was that it could see its own reflection in the glass and that it would stop after a while, but it didn´t.​

I experimented a little - If i turn of the filter and lights in a few minutes Axel-Lotte seems to wake up and starts rooming the tank.... I find that very strange...​

Is little Axel-Lotte a true DRAMA-QUEEN thats just trying to get her way or am i doing something HORRIBLY wrong????​

A little pic of the tank-more plants will be added later :)
axelhome.jpg

Hopefully someone who knows a lot more than me will reply to you soon, but for what it's worth, I know filters need to be turned right down as they like quite still water and will get stressed if there's too much movement, so might be worth checking that. Ours doesn't mind the light, but apparently lots of them like it dark, so might just take some time getting used to it....
Good luck.
They're fun.

Axolotls are nocturnal so are more active when the lights are out. What things are your axolotl doing that make you think it is stressed? There are some things here http://axolotl.org/health.htm that tell you some signs of stress such as a curled tail or gills pointing forward.

It might be that it is just adjusting to her new home, mine took a few days to get used to things when I first got him :)

However, keep an eye on the temperature and the water parameters (ammonia, ph, nitrate and nitrite) to make sure they are ok over the coming weeks, particularly if you did not cycle your tank first. Also with your filter, make sure the water flow is not too strong as that is another source of stress for axolotls. Seeing as your axolotl seems less stressed when it is off that could mean the flow is too much and you should use a diffuser bar.

Anyway, good luck with your new axolotl :)

Oh yea forgot to add, when you say turn off the lights do you mean tank lights or just the room lights? As axolotls don't really need or like tank lights...

Last edited:
I agree with Lisa and Sarah - try to dim the lights (living floating plants do a good job in that and they additionaly consume some of the unwanted wastes - looks like your plants are plastic?) and try to reduce the filter output as there might be to much waterflow stressing your Axolotl.
Motorfilters can also cause some vibrations at the glass they're attached to (and thereby in the whole tank), causing stress, too.

Thanks for all of you fast reply´s - I will look into some more flowting plants and take a closer look at the filter right away.

The reason why i had the idear that it was stressed (and also the reason i thought that it was the reflection in tha glass that was the problem) is that it was fleashing the gills up and down all the time while starring into the glass.

hi
another reason for stress could be caused by 'fish'
make sure they are not having a sly nip at her thinking her gills are blood worm, this is a very common problem which is why most people dont keep fish in with thier axies.
putting plants infront of filter flow will help reduce its flow, i would also leave the light off as axies dont have eyelids and become stressed when exposed to to much light.

It seems that the little one have had a change of heart and decided to lighten up a little.

He/she ate 12 fish yesteday ( i did NOT expect that to happen:)) lets just say that I was a little suprised whenallthe fish suddenly had vanished :)

Apperently it just wanted to settle in a little -Now its very active and curious but Istillwant to get somefloting plants to dimthe lights.

Thanx for the help guys :)

Last edited:
Hi Malibu Barbie,

It can take a few days to a couple of weeks for an axie to acclimatise to a new environment. It sounds to me like your axie is just adjusting.

Good Luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back