Tank Progress!

oneatos

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Display Name
Ulysses
I started setting up my tank some weeks ago and I am now in the process of cycling it! (I think) :confused:

After washing the sand, I have now added water, plants and 5 zebra danios. I had some plants from a couple of weeks ago that I tried to keep alive - so I placed them in the tank. Could their decaying state be the reason the tank got a bit cloudy after one day? I took them out and got another plant (one you see in the picture). --- My question regarding this is; I will be getting some java moss and others recommended at this forum and other ornaments (like four or five)... so will they affect the cycling since I am adding them later this week?

I have been testing the water the last three day and my results are the following:
10/6:
Ph - 7.6
Amonia - 1
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5

10/7:
Ph: 7.6
Amonia - 1
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0

10/8:
Ph: 7.6
Amonia - .5
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10

I have fedding the fish lightly and planning on 20% water changes every two days! I have seen potted plants and I like them, are these ok for an axolotl tank?

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• IMG00126.jpg
    IMG00126.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG00127.jpg
    IMG00127.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 190
I've never put live plants in a new tank before but that is going to be one reason why it got cloudy. The second is waiting for the sand to settle down, and the third is simple cycling. Depending on all those factors it can several days for the cloudiness to go away.

Those potted plants are probably fine for the tank - but the stuff the plants are in - I don't like it. 1. They carry all kinds of junk from where they were reared. Snail eggs and other stuff. 2. I swear it looks like house insulation. It can't possibly be a good thing if that stuff starts floating freely around your tank. (I was told you you put the whole pot in the substrate and the plant will take root.

Have some patience. Keep the filter running.

And why did you put zebra danios in there? To help cycle? Are they going to a different tank when you're done cycling?

Sharon

Juding from my little impared eyes, your temperature seems to be around 15-20 degrees which is good (correct me if I'm wrong) and the cloudiness of the water is a stage all new substrate owners face when introducing sand.

Usually it is because the sand hasn't be washed properly and this causes the cloudiness. I had that problem for a while but I didn't have sand as a substrate, so I got some tiny stones to put into my filter (I forget what they are called) and they sit IN the filter and absorb any yuckies floating around in the water.

For the plants - I am not a fan of moss because it clogs up my filter when it's loose :( The plants you have in are fine, but I have noticed that it's hard for them to root sometimes in that substrate, so my plants are all in tiny pots with that cotton-like substance.
From my experience, that material is fine and has not harmed my axolotls before. It doesn't float out of the pot or cause any weird changes in the water.
However, Sharon was right about the snails- but they are usually tiny tiny baby snails that at full size you axolotls wouldn't even notice, if you don't want them at all then you'll need to wash your plant properly and watch for any lurking snails a few days after you put it in.

An axolotl is a 'pet on it's own' they may only be housed with other axolotls. I do not recommend putting zebra danios in with them, they will get eaten OR eat at your axolotl's gills.

Cloudiness is going down... I think the plants were affecting it seriously.

So... I wonder if I can get the potted plants - rinse them real well and place the pot under substrate?:confused:

I placed the danios to help the cycle... then they will go back to their old tank... they agreed to help me cycle the tank!:D

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers

I've never put live plants in a new tank before but that is going to be one reason why it got cloudy. The second is waiting for the sand to settle down, and the third is simple cycling. Depending on all those factors it can several days for the cloudiness to go away.

Those potted plants are probably fine for the tank - but the stuff the plants are in - I don't like it. 1. They carry all kinds of junk from where they were reared. Snail eggs and other stuff. 2. I swear it looks like house insulation. It can't possibly be a good thing if that stuff starts floating freely around your tank. (I was told you you put the whole pot in the substrate and the plant will take root.

Have some patience. Keep the filter running.

And why did you put zebra danios in there? To help cycle? Are they going to a different tank when you're done cycling?

Sharon

Yes! - the water is at a steady 21 degrees... I hope that is ok. It is in my basement and I have thought of a chiller to bring it two degrees down, but maybe 21 degrees is fine - I dont know about this.

I think I will do the potted plants and see how they work out... I certainly are only looking at two axolotls in the tank - the danios will go back. Except for a glass shrimp that I might get. What do you thinks?

Cheers

Juding from my little impared eyes, your temperature seems to be around 15-20 degrees which is good (correct me if I'm wrong) and the cloudiness of the water is a stage all new substrate owners face when introducing sand.

Usually it is because the sand hasn't be washed properly and this causes the cloudiness. I had that problem for a while but I didn't have sand as a substrate, so I got some tiny stones to put into my filter (I forget what they are called) and they sit IN the filter and absorb any yuckies floating around in the water.

For the plants - I am not a fan of moss because it clogs up my filter when it's loose :( The plants you have in are fine, but I have noticed that it's hard for them to root sometimes in that substrate, so my plants are all in tiny pots with that cotton-like substance.
From my experience, that material is fine and has not harmed my axolotls before. It doesn't float out of the pot or cause any weird changes in the water.
However, Sharon was right about the snails- but they are usually tiny tiny baby snails that at full size you axolotls wouldn't even notice, if you don't want them at all then you'll need to wash your plant properly and watch for any lurking snails a few days after you put it in.

An axolotl is a 'pet on it's own' they may only be housed with other axolotls. I do not recommend putting zebra danios in with them, they will get eaten OR eat at your axolotl's gills.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back