Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Apple snails?

Markw

Reaction score
I am setting up my 55gal, as some of you know, and I would like to have a few snails. As of right now, my axies are only about 4.25" long. I figured, because apple snails get so large, I could have some in there and they wouldnt harm each other. I do, however want to have a planted tank, and I dont know if apple snails would harm the plants. Could I put, maybe two in this tank? Dimensions are 48x12x21" (LWH). If I cant have apples, is there any species that I could have that wouldnt pose a problem to the axies (both sucking on them and impaction if one did strike their fancy..)? I did a snail search on here and I got many, many with snails as a problem, none that would really help me here.

Thanks.
Mark

Kerry1968

Reaction score
I've had two apples snails in my tank with my axies for over a year with no problems. Though only last week one died for no apparent reason! But they never appear to have bothered my axies and they haven't taken much notice of the snails (once they had managed to shorten the apple snails' antennae! I think they thought these new moving stones I had put in their tank had some rather tasty worms attached to them!) The snails seemed none the worse for this. I had hoped of getting some baby apple snails, but nope! So I for one say apple snails make fairly good tank mates, as long as they are bigger than axie mouth size!

pete

Reaction score
I'd suggest going for ramshorn snails. They only eat algae and not plants. My axolotl would eat a few but never had any ill effects. The snails reproduce like crazy if you have a well planted tank.

swalter

Reaction score
I have to read up on this type of snail, but I've tried feeding my axies "baby slugs" of and on (they're multiplying like crazy here in the North West!) and the axies ate them readily, but I wasn't sure about the nutrition slugs might have (if any), so I keep it to a minimum of on per week. Do you happen to know if it's okay to feed slugs to axies?

Markw

Reaction score
I personally have no idea, but Id like to know also. Id aso like some more info on the ramshorn snails if anyone has any good links. Thanks.

Mark

callina

Reaction score
Hi,

apple snails are good companions to axies as long as they are bigger than the axies mouth, but they don´t like cold water (min. 18 degrees celsius).
There are 2 kinds of apple snails. The "Pomacea bridgesii" wouldn´t harm the plants, but "Pomacea canaliiculata" does.

@Sabine: If the slugs are from nature, I wouldn´t feed them to the axies, because they are full of bacteria (they eat dead "animals, f.e. slugs") and that could harm the axies. It´s better to breed them in a box and feed the offspring (fed with plants and vegetables) to your axies.

-Tina-

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
@Sabine: If the slugs are from nature, I wouldn´t feed them to the axies, because they are full of bacteria (they eat dead "animals, f.e. slugs") and that could harm the axies. It´s better to breed them in a box and feed the offspring (fed with plants and vegetables) to your axies.

-Tina-
I would disagree with this. If you are sure the slugs are collected from an area free from pesticides or other harmful chemicals they will make an excellent meal. Slugs do sometimes feed on carrion but that doesn't make them dangerous to salamanders. Nutrients are nutrients ;). My Ambystomids feed almost exclusively on worms, woodlice and slugs collected from my garden. Slugs are quite slow and difficult to culture in my opinion. Far easier to collect.

philbaker76

Reaction score
I too am toying with the idea of purchasing an apple snail for my tank.

Who here actually has an apple snail??

I keep a few snails in my hatching/growing on tubs (Apple Snails and small navitive ones from pond plants). No problems to date.

My adult set-up is too cold for Apple Snails.

Cheers, Phil

Markw

Reaction score
I was, too thinking about ramshorn snails, but my axies are only 4.25" long right now. As they grow, the ramshorns dont get too big. Wouldnt this be reason for consern with impaction until they are fully grown?

Mark

callina

Reaction score
I would disagree with this. If you are sure the slugs are collected from an area free from pesticides or other harmful chemicals they will make an excellent meal. Slugs do sometimes feed on carrion but that doesn't make them dangerous to salamanders. Nutrients are nutrients ;). My Ambystomids feed almost exclusively on worms, woodlice and slugs collected from my garden. Slugs are quite slow and difficult to culture in my opinion. Far easier to collect.

@Mark: Pardon me if I´m wrong, but I was told, when the axies eat slugs full of bacteria the bacteria could infect the axies. Thats why we (in germany) don´t feed slugs to axies. Maybe we are a little bit overcautious.;) We are breeding the slugs for feeding.;)

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I had a few apple snails in the past in my axolotl tanks. One day I caught one of them snacking on an axolotl's dorsal side. The resulting abrasions became infected with fungus quickly and were difficult to treat. The axolotl did recover, however, I removed the apple snails from the tank.

Another issue, as mentioned before, "Apple snails" also sold as "mystery snails" in the USA do not do so well in axolotl water temperatures.

A final issue is reproduction. While apple snails do not reproduce to frequently, when conditions are right they do so constantly. Back in my fish breeding days, I actually made a bit of money selling the eggs and small snails.

They also lay their eggs above water, so this can lead to escapes and potentially very large mollusks rotting in your home.

Markw

Reaction score
I think I will overlook the apple snails. Has anyone had any luck with the ramshorns? Ive been hearing alot about them being okay for the axie tank. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!