eek problem with bugs in my tank water?????

layla

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
layla perry
can somebody please help me 2 days ago i did water readings on my tank and everything was fine but when i woke up this morning my tank was full of little tiny bug things at first i thought it was just poop that had been disturbed and re settled but on closer inspection they looked like they were moving so i took some out and they are indeed swimming about they are about the size of a grain of sand and are dark brown? oh yeah i also found 4 little tiny snails please help asap???????????????
many thanks
layla

Most likely, they are harmless. Do more siphoning and water changes for a while, and they will probably decrease. See Aquarium Critters article.

Could be cyclops or most likely daphnia - both are pretty common if there's no fish to tidy them off. Either of these is a good sign that your tank is healthy and functioning well. Daphnia feed off decaying pariculate organics as do some cyclops while others feed on algae and some prey on microbes. Basically all of them recycle axolotl wastes even if it's indirectly. They're not a problem, but if you see a bloom it's probably an indication that something else is - usually to much wastes in the tank.

thanks guys i took mildrid (my axy) out yesturday because i didnt know if they would harm her, i also had a re-count on the snails there are now 7 and my nephew is going to giv some of them a home bless him. i did water tests this morning and it came back with high levels of ammonia and nitrite so i will do another water change, i just wonderd if i havnt put anything new in my tank for over a month where have all these things come from?????

Hi, these are what I call wrigglers, they are laid by a little fly (gnat/mosquito type beastie) and the eggs are grouped together and look like a tiny boat, these then hatch into larva that look like it has a big head and tail..in a few days they turn into the little fly.I am certain they are harmless and the insects tend to lay the eggs in any bit of water. If your axolotl are smallish they will enjoy eating them, like wise the snails are also good for them. The water readings are more of a worry , but it sounds like you have it all in hand.

ok so i have done a serch to try and identify the little buggers and i think they are COPEPODS are they going to be harmfull to mildrid???????

Copepods are harmless and a natural part of an aquatic ecosystem.

I have tons of tiny organisms in my tank. There are copepods, daphnia, little white worms, and limpets. They don't bother anything. The fish I have in there eats the worms. The copepods seem to live on my mudpuppy, I guess as a host. They don't bother it though. I think they are actually helping my mudpuppy by cleaning it of bacteria.

ok they are copepods but i now need to identify the snails they are at the moment between 1mm-5mm and thet have what i would describe as a leopard print on their shell their shell also grows into a point will they harm my axy if i put them in with her??????????

The only stories I've heard of a snail hurting an Axie is when it closes and the operculum catches a limb etc. If they're pondsnails they don't have an operculum and they won't get big enough to be a problem. My axies eat juvie pondsnails anyway.

well id just like to say thanks guys for all your help and mildrid thanks you too.x.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back