Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl questions

Depleted

Reaction score
Hey guys, i've been reading the forums lately as im wanting to purchase an Axo and i had a few things i'd really like clarification on.

If i can get a submersible filter with an adjustable speed setting, how much heat would it dump into the water? (if needed i can try and get the exact model and all that)

How can i combat this heat, i will have one maybe two axo's in a 3ft tank, so should i get like a 2ft airstone to put at the back to help with aeration and vaporisation? and i live in england... it gets very hot in my room (my pc is a powerhouse, so i might even end up buying an air cooling unit for £100 around spring)

I would like sand as the base for the home of my little axies, but what plants do you recommend that i could keep in with them as i know plants live off ammonia, nitrate and nitrite.

I would like to have a light on for the plants that wont stress my axies out, but will also be enough for the plants to live from. Would it be a bad idea for me to have a moonlight or two on during the night? so my axie can see where he is, and so ican see him at nighttime for nice snapshots?

finally... how much do i have to feed an axie per day? (i plan on using brine shrimp and blood worms + salamander pellets and as a treat, a guppie or two who will have been quarantined etc)

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i've been reading the forums lately as im wanting to purchase an Axo and i had a few things i'd really like clarification on.

OK, here we go! ;)

If i can get a submersible filter with an adjustable speed setting, how much heat would it dump into the water? (if needed i can try and get the exact model and all that).

They can raise the temperature by a few degrees.

How can i combat this heat, i will have one maybe two axo's in a 3ft tank, so should i get like a 2ft airstone to put at the back to help with aeration and vaporisation? and i live in england... it gets very hot in my room (my pc is a powerhouse, so i might even end up buying an air cooling unit for £100 around spring))

This article provides lots of helpful ideas for cooling a tank: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cooling.shtml

A filter provides ample aeration for the water, but adding an airstone certainly won't hurt - some axies like to play on them which can be entertaining. A two foot airstone may be overkill though ;) - a small one will do a great job too.

I would like sand as the base for the home of my little axies, but what plants do you recommend that i could keep in with them as i know plants live off ammonia, nitrate and nitrite.)

Stong plants that can withstand a charging axolotl! Axolotls love uprooting things as well - so pick hardy plants that can 'take anything'. The most highly recommended plant for axies is java moss as java moss needs little light.

I would like to have a light on for the plants that wont stress my axies out, but will also be enough for the plants to live from. Would it be a bad idea for me to have a moonlight or two on during the night? so my axie can see where he is, and so ican see him at nighttime for nice snapshots?)

Axolotls are nocturnal and have no trouble finding their way in the dark. A light is fine as long as the axolotls have sufficient hides so they can get away from the light or observation if it is upsetting them.

Another thing to bear in mind with the light is heat generation.

finally... how much do i have to feed an axie per day? (i plan on using brine shrimp and blood worms + salamander pellets and as a treat, a guppie or two who will have been quarantined etc)

It depends on the age of the axolotl. Young juveniles are fed once every day, older juveniles once every couple of days and adults about twice weekly.

A good guide to ascertain over or underfeeding is to monitor the belly - the belly should be as wide as the head - plump but not obese.

Brine shrimp is usually fed to larvae, I think it's a little small to be of benefit to juveniles and adults - someone may correct me on this if I'm wrong. :eek:

Cheers Jacq.

Depleted

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, could you recommend any good filter's? as my mother suggested i get a submersive one like what she has in her zebra pleco tank and her general tank and her shrimp tank.

I will try to get the tank asap with all the gear setup and use one of my mothers filters so i can setup the cycle and have all the good bacteria going.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, could you recommend any good filter's? as my mother suggested i get a submersive one like what she has in her zebra pleco tank and her general tank and her shrimp tank.

I will try to get the tank asap with all the gear setup and use one of my mothers filters so i can setup the cycle and have all the good bacteria going.

I personally use Fluval external canister filters now for my axie tanks. I used to use submersibles which were also Fluvals. Both these filters use sponge media which provides a great surface area for the beneficial bacteria to colonise.

This article gives a good rundown on all the filter types suitable for aquatic caudata: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/filters.shtml

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1