Bloated axolotl? Pictures**

AshSeek

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey folks, my wild type female seems to be getting a very round belly. She has never laid eggs before so i don't know what that would look like but i didn't feed her for a couple days to see if i was just feeding too much and her tummy is still much wider than her head. Tho i noticed it's size increasing a few weeks ago, i've been keeping an eye on it but even with regular feedings she is MUCH wider than my pink male (he seems to stay slim no matter what).
I don't know if she is getting ready to lay eggs or even if it would make her much larger or if she is bloated somehow?
There are no rocks in my tank just fine black sand, i have not really noticed any poop but also sometimes they hide under their cave and when i clean their tank i find a lot of poop there, so maybe she is but i haven't seen any.

Should i be concerned or what can i do?
Please note that it has been going on for a few weeks, over a month and she seems to still slowly be getting bigger, and there was a time they didn't get fed as much as normal but she was still large. (they did still get fed just didn't give them nearly as much)

Also note in the pictures she is the light green one against the tank wall. She is by my new dark axolotl who i believe is also female.

Attachments

• IMG_9884.jpg
    IMG_9884.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 403
  • IMG_8013.jpg
    IMG_8013.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 373
What size/how old is she? I know females are usually rounder by nature and they do plump up when they're producing eggs. If that's what's happening, it might not be a good idea to cut back on her food or her body will take the nutrition it needs to make the eggs from her instead of her food.

Also, do you hand feed or just drop food in for them to hunt down? I've heard that you're suppose to use a feeding dish if you just put the food in because if the axolotl swallows sand while it's hunting, it could get constipated as a result.

I would guess that one of these two issues is probably what's happening but the more knowledgeable members might have some other thoughts on the matter.

It's the middle of winter, so eggs are a real possibility. If there is nothing else really wrong it's not a probelm - the photo shows a plump, happy, healthy axie.

But if she isn't going to breed she may go off her food as she reabsorbs unfertilised eggs.

She is not quite a year I don't think but over 7 inches long I hand feel my axolotls. Thank you both I guess I will see what happens how long does it take for them to lay eggs?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back