Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New axolotl check

Vickie

Reaction score
I've just finished setting new axololt in for a friend who is signing up on here as we speak....

There are a few marks I would to have checked out...

Plus I was told before collecting that it was a male but owning 4 im pretty sure it's a girl...

So can I also confirm sex and colour name please. As well as thoughts on the lump on tail, the black marks and colour marks please...

Thank you in advance for help...

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389834999296.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389834999296.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,450
  • uploadfromtaptalk1389835016601.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389835016601.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 294
  • uploadfromtaptalk1389835031760.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389835031760.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 263

smiley1996

Reaction score
Congratulations on your friends new purchase of this beauty! ... I would say she/he is a golden albino ... pretty sure.... the general non furry looking white spots are called iridiphores if you shine a light into them.they have a shiny sort of glow. They are normal. As for the lump if its furry its most likely fungal in which case do you know your water parameters? Temp of the water and is the tank cycled. ..
For sex you cant really see generally if theres a lump just behind their back legs thats big enough to see its a male if theres no lump its female hard to see in the pictures though :) how old Is the axie do you know? :)

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Vickie

Reaction score
Re: New axololt check

The lumps not furry... Shes had him a grand total of 3 hours now... Not sure what water conditions where like in last tank this is cycled...
I thought the white spots where the shiny normal ones but didn't want to shine light on her after being moved so soon...
She does need a bit of tlc as shes reporting some gills and a foot.. So don't want to stress her out...
Theres no swelling which is why I was sure shes a girl but then it is 2 in the morning here and I'm very good a being dopey at time in the morning...

smiley1996

Reaction score
Wow shes a big girl then! Yh thats understandable well I dont think you should worry if its not furry or open? She should be perfectly fine after tlc as you said :) what she being fed on? :)

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Vickie

Reaction score

She was originally feed only on blood worm but will be getting earth worms today if she will take them....
She is happy to find her own food so I cant see earthworms being difficult to feed her just hope she will enjoy them enough...
sorry for late reply

smiley1996

Reaction score
Thats cool no worries :) yh bloodworm most likely werent giving the beauty the best nutrients ... earthworms every Axie seems to love guaranteed mine had his first the other day and it was gone within seconds and he was on bloodworm and crushed muscle prawns for a treat etc. Earthworms giving her the best nutrients will help with the TLC too :D good luck with her :) Any other info you may be interested in feel free to private message me or anyone else ... auntie jude, layna are good ones ^^

Every animal has the right to be loved...

Vickie

Reaction score

Thanks hun.
The swelling on her tail has gone down since the photo and she looking really healthy and happy...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1