Sudden death of both axolotls. salmonella?

HelloKitty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, it's been a while since I logged on. I'm devestated to report that Albie and Aristotle have both died.

I've been sick for 3 weeks now and it's suspected salmonella poisoning

Anyway, I went to feed the axies last week and found Aristotle dead at the back of the tank there were no signs of illness and a few days earlier I was chatting to her while she had a staring contest with one of the cats. She seemed fine. I'd noticed her floating the week before but that soon stopped. her appetite was good and she was always excited at feeding time.

I took her out of the tank, she can't have been gone long, shed been seen watching the fish im the tank next door that morning. i checked albie over and he was fine. He looked completely normal and ate his earthworm eagerly. 2 days later I spotted albie "chilling" in a plant. I just had a bad feeling even though he would often sit in the plants I just thought I would check on him. He was also dead. Again, no signs of ill health. He wasn't off of his food, he looked normal. He hadn't floated and seemed happy.

Could I have given them salmonella poisoning?

Tank was fine, temp was fine, everything was ok.

I wasn't entirely sure so I did some reading and I'll share what I found. I'm out of my comfort zone with the subject, so I'll try to post as many sources as I can.

Salmonella could easily survive in your tank (source) for the duration of your salmonellosis. The opportunistic infection would have required a reduced immune system (stress) in your axolotls, along with the salmonella needing to be introduced, possibly from you through poor hygiene. After afflicted, your axolotls would be expected to show inappentance, become lethargic and thin, and develop diarrhea (Indiviglio p. 42). It could have appeared to be a sudden death if all of these contributing symptoms were missed, but you seem to be fairly observant of their health. This leads me guess a salmonella infection was unlikely.

If the deaths were sudden, it was more likely caused by poisoning, chemicals, bleach, pesticides, toxins, air deodorizers, soap residue, etc (I realize some of these are redundant). Could any of the items listed have been introduced to your tank in the days leading up to their passing?

During my reading tonight I found a couple interesting but irrelevant tidbits:

1. Salmonella in substrate will penetrate through the shells of turtle eggs within one hour of contact with a contaminated surface. (source).
  2. There is a scientific article simply titled "Transplantation of Axolotl Heads" (source).

I'm sure my reply is inadequate but I hope it gives a little help, and I'm very sorry for your loss.

I'm sorry for your loss Kitty.

Salmonella doesn't affect axies the same way as it affects us - they can't catch food poisoning from you.

I agree with Elise, it's something else. Without a necropsy you may never know the exact cause. Chances are it was an infection, virus or foreign substance in the water.

You need to give your tank a thorough clean and disinfect if you intend to get some more axies. But I would wait until you have fully recovered before you get into that.

Thanks guys. I just spoke to my mum, she's been looking after my kids here while I've been ill. She told me she saw a few dead worms in the water one night so she pulled them out. Maybe there was a problem and I just didn't notice because I was so unwell. It's not like them to leave worms. Either there was something I missed or my mum had something on her hands. I know she uses hand cream sometimes. I've been so unwell I haven't even dusmantlyed the tank yet. It's still sitting there like they were in it. I just turnd off the filters and left it like that. I still keep getting the shakes and I only managed to wash my hair for the first time in over 3 weeks yesterday.

I'm gonna throw everything except the tank and hood away. I'll clean it and disinfect it and out it in the garage for a while. I've got so much on my plate right now I don't have the energy to be cycling a tank.

You're right to take time to recover yourself before you think about the tank.
It won't come to any harm just sitting there, wait until you feel better and have the motivation to deal with it.

Im sorry to hear this.

Its a stupid question but was you tank cycled?
Could the cycle have possibly crashed at some point?

I checked the water after Aristotle died and it was fine. After albie died I didn't use the test kits, I just checked the amonia spot on the side of the tank and it was yellow so all good. I haven't had that spot long but I've always found them accurate. I had two filters running. One on each side of the tank.

It was just you said some of their food was dead and i wondered if the water quality could be an issue.

Sometimes we never find out why these things happen but at least they had a happy, wormy life with you :D

So sorry for your loss and hope you feel better soon....I had salmonella many years ago and it takes it out of you for quite some time..

Speedy recovery hun.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back