Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Red Patches on face (Photo attch)

Flee

Reaction score
I just went to feed my axies and noticed my golden one has some red patches on its face.. I have no idea what its from and it wasnt there yesterday.

I just checked water
PH 7.4
AMM .25
Nitrite .25
Nitrate 40ppm
temp 20.5

It only seems to be the one that I can see the other 5 are fine. I did a water change of about 20% 3 days ago

Help Please

Attachments

• axolotls 005.jpg
    axolotls 005.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 1,081
  • axolotls 009.jpg
    axolotls 009.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 782

Kaini

Reaction score
I don't know about the red patches themselves, but you need to do a big water change. Your ammonia and nitrite should be zero and your nitrate is high. Axies are really sensitive to bad water conditions. It might also help to lower the temp - best for axies is between 16 and 18c. You can probably get away with 20 but it isn't best.

HayleyK

Reaction score
With those readings it seems your tank is not cycled yet. DAILY water changes 10%-20% until your readings reach 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, under 40 nitrates. Then a big water changes, and then 20-30% once a week from then on.

Redness usually indicates ammonia burn / water quality issues and may be more noticeable in lighter axolotl colors perhaps that's why the others don't seem affected. I also have noticed albinos and leucistics seem easier to stress out, there's no scientific evidence but apparently wildtypes are more stable.

E

Elise

Readings are likely caused by the huge pile of decaying bloodworms.
Redness could be the start of a bacterial infection. I'd be concerned with the potential of bloat which often develops in the throat area. Keep an eye out for swelling.

Like the others have said, lower your temperatures below 18C and improve your water quality.

Flee

Reaction score
The tank was cycled.. I made sure the tank was cycled before I brought the axies and Ive have them November I think. The water temp is higher as is hot here in Melbourne today.
As for the red its gone again so not sure what it was but I will keep an eye on it and do a water change.

Flee

Reaction score
Redness could be the start of a bacterial infection. I'd be concerned with the potential of bloat which usually has a swollen throat as a symptom.

What are other Symptoms of bloat?? And if it is it how do I fix it.. Besides the water change which I will do right now

E

Elise

What are other Symptoms of bloat?? And if it is it how do I fix it.. Besides the water change which I will do right now

Bloat is a symptom of a number of diseases sometimes of a bacterial infection. You would notice a swollen throat, which is an area that was showing redness in your pictures. If the redness is gone then you are probably fine. It wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on the area for anything that might show back up.

Last edited:

Petersgirl

Reaction score
I have also read that some axolotls can get red marks if they rest a part of their body for a long time against a surface that holds a lot of bacteria, such as the bottom or sides of a tank. The bacteria can cause damage to the skin.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!