The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 12th December 2006   #1
sara

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I hear earthworms are good for axies but I also now they carry lots of nasties not to mention all the dirt they have running through them.
I was wondering how can I clean off or make the worms safe, or if not, is it possible to buy them in such a clean state?
Also what other meats are good for me as I keep hearing conflicting opinions?

Old 13th December 2006   #2
tom

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I buy worms off the internet, You can get worms that have been "cleaned" which means they have had their digestive tract cleaned out as well as the outside but I don't bother because I keep them in a worm farm and have to feed them anyway. Also I read somewhere that cleaning them in that way reduces their nutritional value.
I just take out a little tank water and wash them in that before feeding.

(Message edited by Ed on December 13, 2006)

Old 13th December 2006   #3
amber

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Purging is really easy.
Drop your worms in dechlorinated water for 20 mins.
They empty all the rubbish out, and bundle together, making it easier to pick them out.

If you give them a varied diet, they will be nice and healthy, and pass on this benefit.

I got a great big tub of beautiful pink dendrobaena for Spyyk, and they're fabulous.

(Message edited by Ed on December 13, 2006)

Old 13th December 2006   #4
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Please do not suggest where to aquire items from specific people/companies outside of the feedback forum as this is a form of feedback.

Thanks

Ed

Old 13th December 2006   #5
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

If you purge the worm, then you do change the calcium/phosphorus ratio to a ratio that is incorrect for proper calcium metabolism.
This may not be as big a deal if you have hard water containing sufficient levels of calcium as the axolotl can scavenge it from the water but this is also an energetic process for the animal.

It is typically recommended that the worms be kept in a calcium rich substrate and not be cleaned.

Ed

Old 13th December 2006   #6
tom

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Sorry about that Click the image to open in full size.

Old 13th December 2006   #7
sara

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Out of interest, where's the policy/rule page for this forum 'cus I never saw it when I signed up... I have a habit of not being able to see anything beyond the end of my noseClick the image to open in full size....and I couldn't find it again when I set out to look for it...
Thanks again!
Does all this information work on parasites too?

Old 14th December 2006   #8
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

They are spread out over several different areas, in this case when you first open the forum page and it lists the breakdowns of the areas, the testimonial section has this under it
snip "The place to post info about good deals with people who are a credit to the hobby, and companies that deal fairly. Reading and posting are open to Registered Caudata.org Users only."endsnip

This is another section where the posts have to approved and posting where to get something is giving a positive review to that company.

I am going to post a thread for the other moderators so we can try and get the policies in one place and updated quickly..

Ed

Old 14th December 2006   #9
sara

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Cheers Ed!
For new-comers like myself its a little on the confusing side.
What about sticky posts on the start of a forum, or is that what you mean?

Old 15th December 2006   #10
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I don't think the forum software here allows sticky posts. We just have a message at the top of each topic page. To reach the topics pages, go to the menu above, which reads:
Log Out / Topics / Search......
Then go to the topic of interest. I'm always amazed by how many people use the axolotl sections of the forum, but never venture to the other topics. There is a lot of axie-relevant information in the Live Foods, Testimonials, etc, etc.

Old 19th December 2006   #11
sara

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Sorry for dragging this off topic, anyways I've followed the advice and have been using dendrobaena out of my own compost bins, I know there's not chemicals in the soil then and purging them in declorinated water? Will this also kill parasites on the outside?
*The axies are total pigs for them btw... They're total pigs for anything to go into the tank for that matter, including fingers and tank hoovers...*

Old 20th December 2006   #12
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

It's impossible to completely rid an earthworm of its parasites. Earthworms (skin and guts) grow a diversity of bacteria and parasites that are beneficial to the worm. But the parasites are not ones that can harm an axolotl, so there is no need to worry. You can rinse the worms in tap water (with chlorine) if that makes you feel better, the chlorine won't hurt the worms and isn't enough to harm the axolotls.

Old 20th December 2006   #13
sara

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Ahhh, thanks, that's wonderful to hear. My father (a seasoned fisherman and all round nerd Click the image to open in full size. said the same... But I wanted to make double sure.)

Tags
earthworms

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 25th November 2019, 16:19 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.