Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: Newly acquired babies, any and all advice appreciated

dragonlady

Reaction score
Hi, just got in new juvies Mar. 9 and looking for any and all advice. Currently feeding well on frozen bloodworms. They range in size from about an inch to a little under 2" - the albino is the largest. The wildtype is the smallest. I also have 2 lucies. Sorry for the pic quality - only have a camera phone right now. Thanks to all who read this!

Shannon

Attachments

• newbabies.jpg
    newbabies.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 234

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
There is such a vast amount of information on axolotl care (on all stages) in this forum......please just make a quick search.
One thing i will say, is that i hope you are keeping them in something much bigger and with a MUCH BIGGER volume of water.

dragonlady

Reaction score
Yes, they were shipped in the container pictured. They are currently in a shoebox sized tupperware container with about 2" of water. I am preparing a 20 gallon long to transfer them into with a sponge filter - but did have a question about how deep the water should be. Have read that babies sometimes lose their bearings if the water is too deep - in that they end up only floating and not being able to reach the bottom. I've also read that daily water changes are necessary. I have been reading but it's hard to find specific info for this size - maybe I've been looking in the wrong spot. Thanks,
Shannon

lea

Reaction score
hi shannon
i dont know the answers to your question because i have never raised babies. i just wanted to say they are sooo cute...someone will be able to help with the answers tho.
good luck with them
lea

Last edited:

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
a 20 gallon filled about half way up would be fine...if you use a sponge filter or something the axies cannot get caught in, that will reduce the need for water changes...but a daily 10% would be a good way to start off

dragonlady

Reaction score
Thank you, Lea. Your newest is just a beauty. My camera really does not do mine justice, will need to upgrade so I can document their stages.

Thank you Scizeric for your advice. I would have thought that would be too much water. I have to change the type of filter I planned to use though. I had planned on using a zoomed 318 but it emits too much heat and substantially changes the temp. I'll pick up one that utilizes an air pump instead of one that has a built in motor. More pics to come when I'm able!

Shannon

shoegal

Reaction score
Hi! Your new babies are so cute! I am currently raising about 100 golden axies that are that exact size right now, and I would HIGHLY recommend getting a sponge filter. It will greatly reduce the need for major water changes, and you won't have to worry about the babies getting sucked up into the filter in-take.

My main recommendation for raising little axies would be: keep it simple. This will allow you to have more control over the water parameters and thus the health of your little guys. You can always create a more elaborate enclosure when they are a bit more mature.

This is just my two cents. You will get tons of great advice on raising little ones on this site. Best of luck!

dragonlady

Reaction score
I adore goldies! I currently own a 15 mo. named Tut pictured with my name. Thank you for your advice - I will be getting one tomorrow. Best of luck with yours - Hope you post pics! :D

Shannon

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1