Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pictures of Esteban

sws22

Reaction score
This is Esteban my Axolotl. He is 11 months old and almost 5 inches long. Does this seem small for his age? I want him to be huge! He eats a large earthworm every other day, and he gets slugs a few times a week and sometimes pellets or tubifex worms.

-Sarah

Attachments

• esteban bubble.jpg
    esteban bubble.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 293
  • esteban big.jpg
    esteban big.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 264

Kerry1968

Reaction score
I would feed him every day and earthworms are one of the most nutritous foods you can give them. Depending on the size of the earthworms I would feed him more than one, as many as he'll eat in about 15 minutes.

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I want him to be huge!

He'll get nice and plump if you feed him a nutritious diet on a regular basis, make sure you don't end up with an obese Axie as a result from trying to make him "huge".

A "well fed" Axie's body will be about as wide as its head. That's a rough guildeline to tell if your Axie is under or overweight.

Spartacus

Reaction score
What a cutie! reminds me of my temporary baby Jobe, he was incredibly thin too. Good luck with feeding him up

Skilly

Reaction score
What a cute little guy :) I would feed him more often he looks pretty skinny. When mine was that size (about a month ago) I fed him every day with black worms mixed with a bloodworm cube with a couple small pellets in the morning and maybe a few before bedtime. Now I give him earthworms with pellets and bloodworms as treats. He is growing so fast though! 3 cm in just a couple weeks! Feed him well and he will grow faster than you will believe. Just don't make him fat ( his body shouldn't get fatter than the width of his head looking down on him) :D have fun with the little cutie! they are so fun to watch grow.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1