Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I need help.

RoxyRose

Reaction score
I got my axolotl Cap two weeks ago. Cap is about 5 month old. (I think) He liked swim a round his or her tank a lot. but today he float at top of the tank. I would put finger in tank to move him and see if he was alive. He would move. but, it would take him a couple of seconds to realize that I was moving him then he would move but go right back to floating.

I think something wrong with him I don't know what it could be.

LSuzuki

Reaction score
Have you tested your water for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? If so, what are the levels? Also what temperature is the tank at, and what pH is the water?

Are you familiar with what "the cycle" is? Was your tank "cycled" before you put your axolotl in? If you are not familiar with the cycle and don't have tests, I am going to guess that you have an ammonia spike in your tank. If this is the case (new tank, no tests to confirm), put your axolotl in a container of fresh, dechlorinated water right away. (You have a dechorinator product to add to your water for water changes, right) Then, start reading about "the cycle".

If you have tests, and the ammonia or nitrite is high , do as above - get your axolotl into a container of fresh, dechlorinated water. Post your results, and we can help you more.

Good luck! I hope your axolotl is OK.

RoxyRose

Reaction score
I can test the water til tomorrow because I need more testing strips. I did put him in a smaller tank with fresh dechlorinated water. now his back to his normal self. so it was probably the water.

Thanks for the help.

LSuzuki

Reaction score
Since you need to buy more test strips anyway ... The liquid test kits (with the test tubes) are both more accurate and cheaper in the long run, especially if one "cheats", and say fills the tube 1/2 way and uses 1/2 the number of drops. (Yes, cheating gives less accurate results, but most of the time, I just want to know that there is no ammonia or nitrite, and a cheated test is accurate enough for that.)

So, it sounds like your tank isn't cycled. It isn't too late to do "fishless cycling", which will be much easier on your axolotl and much less worrying for you. You can keep your axie in a the smaller tank and do 100% water changes as needed (depends on the amount of water in tank and size of axolotl) until your bigger tank finishes the cycle. (Google "fishless cycle" for instructions.)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!