Interesting T. verrucosus baby.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
I keep seeing this baby from time to time in the T. verr tank and I've been trying to get a pic for ages. Obviously not an albino, but it seems very sparkly and white, it also has bright pink gills instead of the usual brownish purple.

Attachments

• SAM_0371.jpg
    SAM_0371.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 471
  • SAM_0369.jpg
    SAM_0369.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 357
  • SAM_0368.jpg
    SAM_0368.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:
interresting indeed,

I think Bellabeloo got one of this kind months ago...?

That's what I thought, I keep trying to see if it has tiny feet like Julia's!

Last edited:
Is the one back (in second picture) a usual colour?

Is the one back (in second picture) a usual colour?

Yes, it's a light coloured normal larvae. They seem to vary from quite dark, almost black, to a light speckled sandy brown depending on the colour of the substrate they are on.
It could be that the very light one turns out to be a normal one as well, the thing that made me think it could be different is the sparkly irridophores on its tail fin, I haven't seen any babies with that before.

I think this one will stay neotenic and darken up as it grows , I've had several like this and normally refuse to morph until nearly adult

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back