Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Snails are eating my plants! What to do?

loublue

Reaction score
Hello! I've had some brown small snails that came with a few plants I bought a good while ago. But I'm noticing more and more how the plants seem to get eaten, and I don't have that many plants yet.
I've tried putting a lettuce leaf in there for one night but there wasn't a single snail on it in the morning. I'm gonna try it again, but is there any other efficient ways of either completely removing them (I know many say they are good to have) or at least not have so many? I do wipe off the ones that are sitting on the glass, but that doesn't seem to help much.

Thank you

caleb

Reaction score
I've tried putting a lettuce leaf in there for one night but there wasn't a single snail on it in the morning.

It might work better if you blanch the lettuce leaf (put it in boiling water for a few seconds). You could try blanched dandelion leaves too.

loublue

Reaction score
I tried putting the lettuce in boiling water, still no snails on it unfortunately. Any other advice?
The reason is some family members might have to take care of the aquarium for a while and I want to give them as little work as possible. And my mom really despise those snails. She recommended just taking out the plants but I think my newt really benefits from having them in there.

caleb

Reaction score
Was the lettuce on the bottom of the tank, or floating in the water? The snails will probably find it more easily if it's on the bottom- you might need to weigh it down with a stone (or something similar).

If that fails, I think you'll have to pick them out by hand.

loublue

Reaction score
Was the lettuce on the bottom of the tank, or floating in the water? The snails will probably find it more easily if it's on the bottom- you might need to weigh it down with a stone (or something similar).

If that fails, I think you'll have to pick them out by hand.

I actually made it float because the snails seemed to be a lot by the surface. I will give it a last try then, thanks for the help!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!