Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Triturus dobrogicus

Jensino

Reaction score
Hello,

recently I got four captive bred Triturus dobrogicus with origins from Romania (Lake Razim). They are juveniles and their red bellies remind me of Cynops orientalis. I can´t wait to see the males develop their courtship display, but this will take some time, since they are still very tiny with a length of approx. 5 to 6 cm.
I keep them in an aqua-terrarium with the dimensions 80x35x40 cm (L x W x H). They like to hide under the Egeria densa and between cushions of Lomariopsis lineata.
I´ll keep you updated about their development. Any advice is welcome.

Best regards,

Jens

Attachments

• Triturus dobrogicus.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 2,399

Jensino

Reaction score
AW: Triturus dobrogicus

I hope you are right. I'll keep my fingers crossed. ;)

Some hobbyists mentioned that their crested newts reach sexual maturity within one year after metamorphosis. According to literature it takes an average of 458 days to reach maturity in captivity (Thiesmeier, B.; Kupfer, A.; Jehle, R. (2009): Der Kammmolch).
But I wouldn´t be disappointed if it takes longer.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
T. cristatus will mature in well under a year with a good supply of food, so I would imagine dobrogicus would be similar. Weather year round feeding rather than allowing them a winter torpid period is good for their long term health I'm not so sure.

Jensino

Reaction score
AW: Triturus dobrogicus

There is no need to rush, therefore the plan is to let them hibernate from nov. to feb. Like they would do in the wild.
I also have taken some more pictures. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Triturus dobrogicus forum.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus forum.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 847
  • Triturus dobrogicus 3.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus 3.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 892
  • Triturus dobrogicus juvenile forum resized.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus juvenile forum resized.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 936

shnabo

Reaction score
Those are beautiful. They look a little different from the other dobro I have seen, must be due to locality. All the best breeding them!

Jensino

Reaction score
All four newts are doing fine and have shown slightly growth in the past two month. I feed them with Daphnia, different types of mosquito larvae, Tubifex and Enchytraea worms, brine shrimps, Asellus and small mealworms. I try to keep their diet as diversified as possible to prevent deficiency signs.
The water temperature varies between 18-24 °C. Due to their distribution they should be adapted to slightly higher temperatures than Triturus cristatus, so the upper range of those temperatures shouldn´t harm them.
I hope you enjoyed the update and I wish all of you good luck with your newts!

Attachments

• Triturus dobrogicus danube crested newt resized.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus danube crested newt resized.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 887
  • danube crested newt resized.jpg
    danube crested newt resized.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 948
  • Triturus dobrogicus portrait.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus portrait.jpg
    504 KB · Views: 1,003

Jensino

Reaction score
It´s time for an update:

My newts are now between 7 and 10 cm in length, so they have doubled their size since may.
I assume it is one male and three females. The male is smaller, with a more slender body and lighter skin.
I am beginning to fatten them (mostly with earthworms), before the hibernation starts in a few weeks. The actual water temperature is 15 degrees Celsius, when it drops below 10 °C the newts will be taken out from the aqurium and placed into the fridge.

Attachments

• Triturus dobrogicus red belly.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus red belly.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 795
  • Triturus dobrogicus 7.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus 7.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 868
  • Triturus dobrogicus 8.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus 8.jpg
    449.6 KB · Views: 793

Jensino

Reaction score
All four newts are hibernating right now.
I had to catch them out of their aqua-terrarium, because they didn´t leave the water even when the temperature dropped to 9 °C. They were still eating and very active at those temperatures. Unfortunately it didn´t get any colder in this room, if I could only lower the water-temperature constantly and stable below 5 °C I would let them hibernate fully aquatic and keep them in their tank all year round. But I don´t want to spent the money on a cooling unit, when I have a full working fridge. ;)
I used a simple interior for the hibernation-box; just some leaves and a halved coconut for hiding and a wet paper-towel for moistening. They were living in this setup for three weeks now and I change the paper-towel and leaves once per week, always trying to not disturb the little newts. :eek:
I collect the falling leaves from my garden, since there are living wild amphibians, I sterilize those leaves with boiling water and dry them afterwards to prevent infections with chytrid or similar. A few days before the hibernation started I stopped feeding my newts to allow them to empty their gastrointestinal tract.
I will let them hibernate like this until January and then relocate them to their tank. So the total hibernation period will be 8 to 10 weeks.

Attachments

• Triturus hibernation.jpg
    Triturus hibernation.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 852
  • Triturus hibernation II.jpg
    Triturus hibernation II.jpg
    525.6 KB · Views: 882

Jensino

Reaction score
Yesterday I relocated the danube-crested-newts to the aqua-terrarium. A few minutes after introducing them to the tank, they went into the water. When I watched today, they were hunting for Daphnia, Asellus and small snails at water-temperatures around 7 degrees Celsius. It looks like they do pretty well after about two month of winter hibernation.

Attachments

• Triturus dobrogicus 9.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus 9.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 1,037
  • hunting for asellus.jpg
    hunting for asellus.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 793
  • Triturus dobrogicus water-temperature.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus water-temperature.jpg
    423.5 KB · Views: 776
  • welcome to the jungle.jpg
    welcome to the jungle.jpg
    414.1 KB · Views: 834

mr cyclone

Reaction score
My beautiful dobricus I got from Neils Djeikers back in 2015, are now breeding for the 6th time and I can say they are nearly as handsome as him. Bald is the new blonde!

Attachments

• 686237B0-6AE2-4A88-8908-C36296443039.jpg
    686237B0-6AE2-4A88-8908-C36296443039.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 853
  • AE080910-E819-457D-8FA5-2C24D35DB1C6.jpg
    AE080910-E819-457D-8FA5-2C24D35DB1C6.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 841
  • E9B69383-3A47-4EF9-A07C-DA712E3FDB07.jpg
    E9B69383-3A47-4EF9-A07C-DA712E3FDB07.jpg
    446.6 KB · Views: 883

Jensino

Reaction score
Feeding time! :happy:

Attachments

• needs some gardening.jpg
    needs some gardening.jpg
    597.4 KB · Views: 875
  • Did you say feeding time.jpg
    Did you say feeding time.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 847
  • feeding time.jpg
    feeding time.jpg
    515.7 KB · Views: 806
  • feeding time II.jpg
    feeding time II.jpg
    518.4 KB · Views: 807

Jensino

Reaction score
Just a brief update! Temperatures are on the rise and so the appetite of the newts. No signs of courtship so far. I might have to wait until next year. But I am totally fine with that, I just like them the way they are.

Attachments

• Triturus-dobrogicus II.jpg
    Triturus-dobrogicus II.jpg
    513.4 KB · Views: 801
  • Triturus-dobrogicus.jpg
    Triturus-dobrogicus.jpg
    465.3 KB · Views: 845

Jensino

Reaction score
The Life Aquatic

People always say that danube crested newts are smaller and more slender than other species from the genus Triturus and thus better adapted to an aquatic life. I can confirm this. They live almost entirely aquatic and rarely use the terrestrial part of their aqua-terrarium.
It's like... "thank you for your offer, Sir! But just leave us alone now." *lol*
My newts prefer to float onto the vegetation instead and just emerge their heads through the water surface to take a rest. Maybe the reason is, that they could escape easier by just diving if a predator shows up. So my advice for you: Always offer some floating water-plants for your crested newts, because they will highly appreciate the possibility to sit on them.

Attachments

• Triturus-dobrogicus VI.jpg
    Triturus-dobrogicus VI.jpg
    449 KB · Views: 825
  • Triturus-dobrogicus IV.jpg
    Triturus-dobrogicus IV.jpg
    477.4 KB · Views: 731
  • Triturus-dobrogicus III.jpg
    Triturus-dobrogicus III.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 734
  • Triturus-dobrogicus V.jpg
    Triturus-dobrogicus V.jpg
    445.8 KB · Views: 822

Jensino

Reaction score
Feeding frenzy

Most of the time I feed my newts small prey like Daphnia, mosquito-larvae, Tubifex, brine shrimps and things like that. But when I feed earthworms the Triturus go crazy and start a feeding frenzy. They prey on those worms, carry them off and perform a "death-roll". They were even snapping after each other, sometimes swallow the tail of a fellow tankmate and release it as soon as they realize that it's too big to be eaten. There is always a lot of action. They must really like those worms.
But don't get me wrong here, this is a peaceful species, that can be perfectly kept in groups, they are just somewhat greedy during feeding time.

Attachments

• Triturus dobrogicus 18.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus 18.jpg
    701.2 KB · Views: 846
  • Triturus dobrogicus 19.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus 19.jpg
    665.4 KB · Views: 798
  • Triturus dobrogicus 20.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus 20.jpg
    828.5 KB · Views: 780
  • Triturus dobrogicus 21.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus 21.jpg
    761.9 KB · Views: 1,048
  • Triturus dobrogicus 22.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus 22.jpg
    897.8 KB · Views: 883
  • Triturus dobrogicus 17.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus 17.jpg
    772.4 KB · Views: 879

Jensino

Reaction score
Jensino-care-sheet

Thanks to all for over 2,000 views! I am so glad that you appreciate my work. :happy:
I want to write a short summary of how I've kept my newts so far.
So here is my Jensino-care-sheet: ;)

Description:

Triturus dobrogicus has a brownish to black back and a bright orange, sometimes even red belly. The males develop a very high, toothed, crest during the breeding season, and a white/bluish band along each side of the tail.
They are more slender and smaller than other Triturus species and their skin is smoother.

Natural Range:

My particular animals origin from Lake Razim, Romania.

Housing:

I keep my newts in an aqua-terrarium with the dimensions 80x35x40cm with an aquarium cover that includes 2xT8 fluorescent tubes each 18 W. I removed the lids, so that no heat accumulation forms. But compared with T5 technology, T8 tubes didn't get that warm anyway. But since I am living in a frickin' cold climate with mild summers, high temperatures aren't an issue to me or my newts.
Otherwise I am using a very simple setup. A thin layer of sand, some floating Elodea densa as well as Leptodictyum riparium to improve the water-quality and a few rocks to aid skin shedding. No Filtration, but therefore frequent water changes every week (but to be honest sometimes I am lazy and skip a few weeks). :eek:
For the near future I am planning to get them a larger Aquarium (100x50x40cm) with a small terrestrial part included as well and provide a more complex setup with deeper substrate, more plants, a filtration-system and maybe a LED-panel.
Triturus dobrogicus live mostly aquatic, that's why there was no need for a separate terrestrial setup so far, except for hibernation. My hibernation setup is explained in post #9.
The overall temperature regime is as follows:
From February to April the temperatures varies between 5 and 15 °C, from May to August between 15 and 25 °C, from September to November it is 10 to 20 °C. From November to January I hibernate my newts in a fridge at temperatures around 5 °C.

Feeding:

I am really obsessed with diversifying the diet of my newts. Here is a list of what I feed them regularly (in alphabetical order): Artemia, Asellus, Daphnia, Earthworms, Enchytraea worms, gnats larvae, mayfly larvae, mosquito larvae, Tubifex.

Recently I am trying to get my hands on "Dry Lake Clam Shrimps" and Hyalella azteca.

When they were freshly metamorphosed I fed them on a daily basis. Now, as sub-adults, I feed them 3-4 times a week.

Best of luck with your newts. I will keep you updated about mine.

Griffin8891

Reaction score
Re: Feeding frenzy

Beautiful! I recently got myself two captive bred juveniles a few weeks ago. (still have their gills)

Like yours, mine go into a feeding frenzy when food is introduced. I started putting them in individual plastic containers for feeding because they kept biting each other's arms and gills. I've had another species of newt lose an arm that way. (it grew back he was fine in the end) So now I separate them into individual small containers for feeding. It also helps prevent mucking up the water I suppose.

Jensino

Reaction score
Re: Feeding frenzy

Beautiful! I recently got myself two captive bred juveniles a few weeks ago. (still have their gills)

Thank you! And congratulations for purchasing those juveniles.

Like yours, mine go into a feeding frenzy when food is introduced. I started putting them in individual plastic containers for feeding because they kept biting each other's arms and gills. I've had another species of newt lose an arm that way. (it grew back he was fine in the end) So now I separate them into individual small containers for feeding. It also helps prevent mucking up the water I suppose.

Seems to be the best decision to separate the larvae during feeding, because the gills are vulnerable and could easily be damaged if bitten. I'm glad that your Paramesotriton recovered fully.

I took some pictures from my newts entering the terrestrial part of their enclosure at night. Maybe I should add some more moss and hiding places to increase the comfort.

Attachments

• Triturus dobrogicus 29.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus 29.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 775
  • Triturus dobrogicus 30.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus 30.jpg
    721.5 KB · Views: 906
  • Triturus dobrogicus 24.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus 24.jpg
    429.3 KB · Views: 731
  • Triturus dobrogicus 25.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus 25.jpg
    431.1 KB · Views: 719
  • Triturus dobrogicus 27.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus 27.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 659
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!