Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can I house Chinese Firebelly Newts with Firebelly Toads?

A

april

Hi, All

I am a newbie Newt mother. I have four Chinese Firebelly Newts. I also have two Firebelly Toads. Is it safe to house them together in a half-land/half-water tank? The pet shop said yes, but I'd like to confirm that. Thanks for any replies!

April

E

elizabeth

<font color="ff6000">Pet shop said yes, and you bought both right? Not recommended. Cut the tank in two with a divider, siliconed together to prevent water from combining, then give the toad mostly land with a small water area. For the fire newt, all water.</font>

J

jennie

You might want to have at least a little land for the newt, they sometimes like to venture out for a little while. It kind of depends on the newt, some of them are more aquatic, but you probably want to at least give them the opportunity.
happy.gif

A

april

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will not combine them in the same tank.

A

april

But what about putting guppies and rosies in the newt tank? They look so great in my filtered river tank, half water, half land. Do you think the rosies or the guppies would pose any problem for the newts? I also have live water plants in there as well. April

A

a

FIre bellied newts require cooler temperatures than tropical fish, and really like eating fish!

Basically there are no animals to mix with newts...

AJfr0ggy

E

elizabeth

<font color="ff6000">If you must, You can put one or two mini goldfish into the tank. This shouldn't cause a problem as they are cheap and can stand colder water. The newts will try and eat the fish without success. The fish being well fed, shouldn't bother a well sized, non-gilled newt either.</font>

K

kaysie

If its smaller than the newt, and it moves, it will end up in the newt's stomach. Goldfish are no exception.

S

samuel

For practical purposes, i put algae eaters with em. My orienatlis have tried to eat em but they are always too slow and frankly i doubt CFBNs can fit any adult fishes into their mouths.

A

a

If you mean algae eaters as in the sucking loach things, they can get nasty!
After seeing what they did to one of my goldfish i would never put them with anything again!!

AJfr0ggy

J

jesper

Yeah, if the siameses fit into the mouth of the orientalis(didn't think so...) they are a major health hazard Sam. Obviously, since the orientalis chase them, eventually they will get them - it's not like you have an ocean there
wink.gif

J

jesper

Yo Mike, what are the sc. name of White cloud mountain minnows? I would be interested in them if they pose no danger(ie newts can eat them without probs) and can take cold water. I'd like some sport for for my newts, lol.

M

mark

Hi Mike,
I've always wanted to keep fish with my newts/salamanders and toads/frogs.
Do you think White cloud mountain minnows would be ok with my Paramesotriton and my fire-bellied toads(kept in a seperate tank from the newts)?
What did you keep your White cloud mountain minnows with?
What do you feed the Minnows with? (flaked fish food?)
Sorry for all the questions, Mark

J

jesper

I was thinking about getting my waltls some guppies, I am not going to keep eggs if they do breed anyway so....
But this minnow is faster right? I need something that will be a sport....

S

samuel

well, both of em have been together for a very long time already. the algae eaters are not loaches, just fishes that look like otos.

S

shawn

i hate to contradict anything but personally ive had 2 firebelly toads living with red spotted eastern newts and firebelly newts for approximataly 3 months now with now problems well at the very beginning same day i braught the first firebelly toad home he did attack one of my newts but i easily cured that by feeding him since he prolly hadnt eaten in 2 days or so by my guess since most pet stores feed every 2-3 days depending on the animal. i also have guppies in my tank and they do great i mainly keep them in there for sport and because there a quickly replenishing source of food i do however make sure there is always 3-4 live pinhead crickets in the tank at all times for the toads thus keeping them full as to not find a newt as a meal :p. as for my setup i use a half land half water setup with some plants near land like on the beachfront slope with decent sized gravel. also i have a little coconut hut which is half in the water half in the land and both the toads and newts love to hang out in it and on top of it together. i dont know much about anyone elses conditions with bad experiences with fbt and newts but as with most animals that are/can turn canibalistic its just a matter of keeping them well fed not over fed to where they get fat and lazy just enough to keep them from seeking additional food sources.
I'll get some pictures of my current setup i actually plan on changing it soon once i get a large tank for the setup im going to work on.
but either way i will post my pictures here to share with everyone
happy.gif
if anyone else has pictures of their tank setup please feel free to send them to me im always interested in seeing peoples setups and creativeness in recreating a natural environment.
Wolfie
p.s. sites can be sent to sales@expert-hosting.biz if you dont want them posted publicly

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1