Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Getting rid of a salamander

J

joseph

I would think that it would be better to try to find a way to keep them out of the house or otherwise simply removing them when they come in. They do you a good deal by removing quite a few insects and the like.

W

william

back on the vocal abilities of newts, triturus do "squeak", my t. vulgaris did this once when i picked it up. i'm going for the gecko theory, salamanders and newts cannot climb into bed unlike lizards or gekos. check my picture, it wouldn't be the same colour of course but is the skin texture the same?

J

jeffrey

On a slightly different note, to prevent the "creatures" entering your house, you could buy metal mesh which has very fine holes in it, you would be able to fit this over air vents and holes without blocking air flow and without causing harm to the creatures who are so distressing you.

A

ana

Hi Mark,

Yes, they look like the creature in your picture, same shape and size, however, not with those markings, they're pretty bland as far as markings are concerned.

A

ana

Guys, guys, exciting news. I can now identify the babies, thanks to Rubén who kindly sent me various pictures of what he thought I have in my garden, and there is one, which looks exactly like the little ones (can't really remember what the mother one looks like now), but maybe identifying the babies will tell us a bit more about the mother. It seems to be a T.Mauritanica something or other. Rubén can give you all more info.

Thanks Rubén.

A.

A

ana

Actually Mark, going back to your picture, it's the same name as Rubén came up with, thing is, in Rubéns picture, it doesn't have those stripes, so they look exactly like it!!

Thanks,

A.

Ok, so anyone know what T. Mauritanica don't like to have around them? I don't suppose garlic will put it off will it? ;-)

J

jesper

But you said you knew it wasn't a lizard!
That's clearly a lizard!!
Hmmm, maybe you shouldn't be so sure of yourself eh?

A

ana

Jesper,

I'm really sorry if I've confused any of you guys, but I'm not on this web page as an expert. I came accross it when I did a Google search for my original question of getting rid of a salamander. Not being a biologist, or an expert on anphibians or reptiles, I really did think I knew my newts, from my lizards from my salamanders (in fact, to be honest, I thought that Gecko and Salamander were almost the same sort of thing). Thing is, although as you all say, that this thing I have (apparently a Gecko called T. Mauritana) is a lizard, they don't look like lizards. My garden is teaming with what I have always called lizards, but they don't get into the house, where as this other thing, which is a lizard and I didn't think it was, because to be quite honest, to me, it doesn't look like a lizard, in fact, completely different, well ok, it has a tail, four legs and a head, like a lizard does.
Not being a qualified expert, hobbiest or manic about this things, I think I did pretty well trying to describe what I have, and in fact, some of you came very close, and two of you hit the nail. Thanks guys.

Apologies to Jesper for confusing a lizard with a gecko! What was I thinking!!!!

B

benjamin

The animals your probably use to calling lizards are lacertids, much more agile, much more elongate, and have the ability to shed their tail at times of stress. Lacertids are much more like the typical lizard than gekos, infact the family lacertatidae is also known as the "Typical lizard" family. Gekos do look a lot different than most of the lizards you would be used to. The world of lizards, however, is a very diverse one and they come in all shapes and sizes, from 3cm to 3meters.

M

mark

Glad that's cleared up! T. mauritanica (Moorish Gecko) comes in a variety of colours and markings and thrives in and around dwellings. I'd give my right arm to share my house with them... Getting rid of them won't be easy as they are quite prolific. The good news is that the adults are very territorial so you won't get them in any numbers. They arn't dangerous or poisonous and think of all the bugs they are eating in your house... Congratulation on the identification though!

J

jesper

Ah, confusing a newt with a gecko you mean
smile6.gif

Hey, in Sweden many herpetologists still call salamanders "waterlizards" so...

Good luck with your geckos! Maybe in time you will learn to love each other, yes?
biggrin.gif

W

william

i wish i had lizards/gekos living in my house...all i have is one sister
smile6.gif

R

rubén

So you have come at the house of Ana
wink.gif
the species is Tarentola mauritanica , according with the photos that has seen Ana .

A

ana

Hi again,

Ok, so I have geckos (lizard or whatever) living in my house eating bugs, great!!! NOT!! Would rather put up with a sibling that one of those things to be honest, (very funny William ;-)) but I'm really glad you all find it very exciting. Sorry but I cannot share your enthusiasm, as I am not a buff like you guys.

Anyway, it does seem to be a T.Mauritanica, as Rubén says, and it looks as if I'll just have to continue the arduous task each spring of catching the little 'uns and getting them out. Will take pics and post them for you guys though.

A.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1