Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Strange symmetrical fungus?

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
Hi there! One of my axies seems to have recurring fungus.But am starting to think it may be something slightly different? Her fungus starts as normal fungus,cottonwool like thing on her 1-2 toes.I put her in saltbath twice a day,but after a few days the fungus gets very 'tight'. It forms like an extremely tightfitting sock around her toe,which looks like its knitted on,and a very precise pattern has been used.Its totally symmetrical all around.Its a cylinder shape,and the bottom is totally flat. Is that normal?Its always this same shape.And you can see some blood underneath. Sorry I couldn't get a photo with my cameraphone.

She keeps having it again and again. I have treated her both with saltbaths and then also with very mild methylene blue baths.

The water is fine, as are my other 2 axies. (They are separated with a tank divider)
Water has 0 ammonia,0 nitrite, 30 nitrate, PH 7,6 and temperature 15-16C.

MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY REPLIES AND SUGGESTIONS

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Sherrisixxx,

Fungal infections especially by saprolegnia species are very opportunistic and tends to occur when there is an underlying problem predisposing the axie to the infection.

Poor water chemistry, temperature and stress in the environment are the more usual culprits. When axies are stressed, they have higher levels of a hormone called cortisol that would cause immuno depression. Their immune systems will become weaker and make them more susceptible to infections.

You have done a good job in keeping their water conditions well maintained. Are there sufficient hiding places? How is the nutrition? Are you feeding the right foods? Are there excessive currents? What type of substrates are you using? Have you noticed any other signs of stress or illness?

Normally when there is a common underlying problem, all axies will get affected to a certain degree if they are housed in the same tank. The fungal infections will also tend to be more generalised and randomised in distribution, affecting gills, skin, toes etc.

As you have observed that the same axie is always getting fungus on the same areas made me suspect that that particular 1 or 2 toes themselves have an underlying problem. It is possible that there are microscopic remnants of fungal elements left on the toes after the salt baths. These remnants can flare up again when the seemingly susceptible axie is subjected to stressors or less than ideal conditions.

Other causes are that there is a deep seeded fungal mycosis deep beneath the skin layer, maybe even bones of that axie. The deep infection makes it harder to eradicate completely hence the recurring infection. Presence of embedded foreign body within the skin can also allow opportunistic infections to strike. In the worse case scenario, the tissues around the toes may have a concurrent bacterial infection that constantly makes the skin vulnerable.

Rare causes include abnormalities of the cells themselves, such as 'skin cancer' or neoplasia. It is rare for axolotls to have neoplasia but it can happen. In these cases, the tissues grow abnormally and do not present with the same protective capability of normal skin cells.

I would recommend you fridge the axie and continue with salt or tea baths. Although Methylene Blue is used to treat fish for fungal infections and in particular against Ichthyophthirius multifiliis. It is not ideal for treating axolotls. Methylene blue can strip the axie's skin of the protective layer of slime. Discontinue methylene blue treatment.

Also do remember to treat your axies in a different container/tank away from the main tank. Do not add anything into the main tank.

Fridging your axie will destress it, boost its immune system and render harmful pathogens (both bacterial and fungal) less viable.

- Set your fridge to about 5 degree celsius.
- Put your axie in a container large enough to allow it to stretch its limbs and tail comfortably.
- Fill with fresh dechlorinated water enough to submerge it but not allowing it to float.
- Cover with a lid. You can use a perforated lid or netting to prevent it jumping out.
- Use a tea towel to cover it to keep the environment dark.
- Perform 100% water changes daily with clean dechlorinated water.
- You can pre prepare bottles of water in the fridge.
- Continue to offer a variety of nutritious food daily. Try live wriggly food like blackworms, bloodworms, earthworms. You can also try the usual pellet, offer treats of shrimp and fish etc. Otherwise you can also blend everything in a food processor and then roll the resultant mash into a pea sized ball to try offer your axie. Remove uneaten food within 20 min.

I would try fridging your axolotl for 2 weeks and continually monitor for improvement. Please update on the progress every couple of days. The appetite will improve as the fungal infection is cured.

Extract from http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/illness2.shtml

I mainly use teabaths for minor skin problems. It may also be used with fungal problems but on that account I prefer salt baths. Tea has a slightly antifungal and antibacterial effect (resulting from tannins) and additionally it closes the pores in the skin a little bit (mainly resulting from tannin and caffeine). The skin tightens and gets some kind of protective layer, making it harder for fungi and bacteria to intrude the body. On the other hand it makes it harder for salt or medicine to reach pathogens which are already inside the body - that is the reason I do not use it on fungal infections, although a tea bath is sometimes recommended as a cure for fungal infections by some people.
The medication is as follows: I take one bag of black tea without any additional aroma (it is important to use black tea because this kind of tea is fermented and so it has tannins) for every 10 litres of water (preferably used in a quarantine tank). This tea gets dashed with boiling water in a seperate bowl - I leave it there for at least 10 to 15 minutes so the tannins are resolved into the water. The tea has to cool down and is finally added to the quarantine water. After a week I make a bigger change of water (60% at least), the rest of the tea is removed over time by normal water changes. If you have to make more regular water changes (f.i. in a small bowl or tank) the tea concentration can be refilled. As far as I know there are no negative effects even for long term treatment.
A similar effect (although not as strong) may have the addition of dried oak or beech leafs now and then as a precaution.

Cheers

Last edited:

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
Rayson,thank you millions for your throughout,great,knowledgeable reply.
The axie in questions mainly gets fed axie pellets and frozen bloodworm.She also gets stuff like squid or shrimp as a special treat. She has 3 different hiding places, and she uses them all.No excessive currents.Substrate is sand.She had her leg and one gill snapped off by one of the other axies 6 months ago, so I have kept her separate since then,to give her time to heal. She gets easily stressed.

Her fungus is actually worse today,even though she gets saltbaths. And her eyes are not clear.They have a clear film of thin white thing on them ( fungus?). This also happens when she gets fungus, and often stays many weeks.

I will put her in the fridge today, and continue treatments.

Thanks so much again for your help.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
HI Sherrisxxx,

You are most welcomed. Actually i know it seems strange but despite being only in cyber space, i do develop an affinity with the wonderful people i meet here and do really hope i can help them out in someway or other.

Just one other point though, are you very sure its fungus? Do you think you can get a photo and post here? I just want to rule out skin shedding.

You are doing a great job with general husbandry and care. Do you still house the axie with the more aggressive tankmate? Sometimes just having a mean tankmate is enough to stress an axie. It might be a good idea to separate them in different tanks or at the very least use a divider.

Regards

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
Many thanks again Rayson. I don't have a digital camera, so unfortunately don't have a photo. It' s definately not just skin shedding, but thick fungus,like she is wearing a big thick sock on her 2 fingers. She has been eating ok,which is good. She is on her own, separated by a tank divider from my other 2 axies :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!