Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Started buiding aquaterrarium

stavroske

Reaction score
I started building an aquaterrarium for my Triturus marmoratus group. It's 1.70m aquarium. Here are some pics of the building so far.
I hope it will become a nice tank :)

DSC02919.jpg

DSC02922.jpg

DSC02923.jpg

DSC02927.jpg

DSC02934.jpg

DSC02935.jpg

DSC02937.jpg

DSC03037-1.jpg

DSC03051.jpg

DSC03053.jpg

DSC03057.jpg

DSC03060.jpg

DSC03401.jpg

DSC03404.jpg

DSC03406.jpg

DSC03407.jpg

DSC03408.jpg

DSC03426.jpg

DSC03427.jpg

DSC03428.jpg

DSC03429.jpg

DSC03431.jpg

fotosyentl2april2009001.jpg

fotosyentl2april2009003.jpg

fotosyentl2april2009008.jpg

fotosyentl2april2009010.jpg

fotosyentl2april2009012.jpg

This is how far I stand at this moment. There's still a lot of work, but I hope to take it in use next spring. In the meantime I can finish it and hopefully get it detoxicated...

Kind regards Steven

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
While a good bit of time in the summer sun gets rid of the VOC (volatile organic compounds), plain water will do the same. You can feasibly fill the tank with tap water and the add a cloth bag of activated carbon. Let it soak like this for about a month, drain it, and let it air dry for a few weeks. Then you are ready to go!

stavroske

Reaction score
Looking good Steven!

Is that acrylic fortified concrete I see?

Thanks!

I don't know exactly how to translate to english but the "online translator" calls it Flag adhesive. I mixed it with compactuna for beter elasticity and a little waterproof. I will use 3 or 4 layers of the adhesive. The parts were the water comes, will be covered with Epoxy.

Kind regards,

Steven

stavroske

Reaction score
the underwater-part is covered with 2 layers of epoxy. Also the waterfall and the bottom of the landpart is covered with it. I finally see the end coming closer now. Above water will come another layer of flag adhesive mixed with peat and moss.

first layer epoxy:

DSC03790.jpg

DSC03791.jpg

DSC03792.jpg

DSC03793.jpg

second layer epoxy:

DSC03794.jpg

DSC03795.jpg

DSC03796.jpg

DSC03797.jpg

DSC03798.jpg

Kind regards,

Steven

stavroske

Reaction score
The final layer is a fact now. It contains specie mixed with compactuna, ground moss and peat. It looks much more natural now if you compare it with the previous grey layers.

DSC03824.jpg

DSC03826.jpg

DSC03827.jpg

DSC03828.jpg

DSC03833.jpg

Now I can fill the tank with water and put a bag of carbon in it.

Please let me know what you think about the tank so far.

Kind regards,

Steven

xMIDNIGHTx

Reaction score
Sometimes its hard to envision the outcome but that looks like it will be wonderful when its complete. It has a bunch of different elements that will prove to look amazing when everything comes together. I have tried some similar stuff like this but only on a fractional scale and in the end I was really happy with the result. Keep up the good work!

Mitch

Ben Krysa

Reaction score
Oh man! It's really comin' along! I'm really curious as to how this build will look when it's finished. Keep up the good work!

stavroske

Reaction score
Hey Guys, a little preview from the tank. I still have some job to make it more natural, but that will take some more time.

Please feel free to comment:

DSC03864.jpg

DSC03863.jpg

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
God job it looks amazing! what's that brown mass inside the water near the glass? a bag?
More pics! take some high photos to we can see the other part;)
chip.

caudatadude28

Reaction score
I love it! It looks so nice. It looks clean, crisp, and natural to me. You really did a good job on it. What else do you plan on doing to it?

bishop1319

Reaction score
I've been away from this site for a while now, but I'm so happy to see the first thing I read is your project...it's amazing! Keep up the good work.

stavroske

Reaction score
As promised, some foto's of the decorated tank. It all has to grow, and hopefully it does all grow well.

DSC03904.jpg

DSC03906.jpg

DSC03907.jpg

DSC03909.jpg

DSC03911.jpg

DSC03912.jpg

DSC03914.jpg

DSC03919.jpg

DSC03921.jpg

DSC03922.jpg

DSC03923.jpg

DSC03924.jpg

The original plan that I made before starting. Some thing have been chanced along the way, but the basic is still the same...

aquariumschets2.jpg

I'd love to know your opinion about my tank!

Kind regards,

Steven

KittiKatt

Reaction score
WOW! I think it is awesome and the plants have grown so well in all those little pockets you desgined! Awesome job! It is at least very pleasing to the eye! I hope the critters love it. I am sure they will.

Yahilles

Reaction score
Super tank. I can't wait until Ficus pumila spread all over the paludarium!

WOW! I think it is awesome and the plants have grown so well in all those little pockets you desgined!
Haha, they haven't grown yet :D

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Spectacular build! I am in awe of your vivaria skills! Keep up the good work!

I can not wait to see this enclosure in a few months.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Lovely looking tank!
It will be a paradise for your T.marmoratus.

I only have two minor concerns, one is that perhaps the shore areas look a bit difficult to climb, although i doubt they´ll have trouble getting on land. The other concern are the oak leaves. Oak leaves can affect the pH of both your terrestrial sustrate and your water, plus they contain phenols that can in large enough quantities be toxic.

stavroske

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm looking forward too to see it full grown.

Lovely looking tank!
It will be a paradise for your T.marmoratus.

I only have two minor concerns, one is that perhaps the shore areas look a bit difficult to climb, although i doubt they´ll have trouble getting on land. The other concern are the oak leaves. Oak leaves can affect the pH of both your terrestrial sustrate and your water, plus they contain phenols that can in large enough quantities be toxic.

They have no problems to get on shore Azhael. Some parts of the wall are good for them to climb on.

I wasn't aware that oak leaves could be toxic! That they can affect the Ph, I did know but there are only 3 leaves in the water so that shouldn't give any problems. On the land there are much more leaves. Did it happen that someone got troubles with oak leaves on a terrestrial part?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!