Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mudpuppy Emergency!

How can I fix this toxic water problem?

• Buy a large amount of plants! Not only will they provide extra "hiding" for the mudpuppy, but also t

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Put some prime in the tank to atleast take care of the ammonia.

• Do as many 10% water changes AS POSSIBLE.

• Total voters

Markgilst

Reaction score
I'm cleaning and giving the tank a total re-do as I type at this moment. I've decided to remove the hide, as it's probably releasing toxic chemicals into the water AND it's troublesome to clean. Eventually I'll add plenty of North American plants and probably a better hide to make the mudpuppy feel more comfortable. Strangely enough, even though the ammonia was really high in the tank, I've noticed that there's a slime covering most of the inner part of the tank, which I've read is beneficial bacteria. The worms that were in the tank were alive too, so I removed them.

Markgilst

Reaction score
I just finished re-doing the tank. The mudpuppy is still in the bucket with the ceramic bacteria rings. How do I safely transition the bacteria rings, mudpuppy, and filter to the new tank without anything bad really happening? I'm worried that the ammonia from the water in the bucket that they're in will get back in the tank and I'll be right where I "started"

The Banana

Reaction score
I recommend getting a small tank, bucket, tub, etc. filling it will water, adding Prime and preferably lots of live plants in that. When you do a water change, siphon the water out of this.
This will give your mud-puppy aged, clean, and lovely fresh water every time. :)

Markgilst

Reaction score
So the next time I do a water change I just replace the old water with water from the small tank?

jclee

Reaction score
Strangely enough, even though the ammonia was really high in the tank, I've noticed that there's a slime covering most of the inner part of the tank, which I've read is beneficial bacteria. The worms that were in the tank were alive too, so I removed them.
Good call on removing the worms. While beneficial bacteria lives in the biofilm that grows on surfaces, the slime your feeling can be a number of things. If it's really slimy, it might be excess bacterias or decomposition from dead crickets (which can really muck up water). While you don't want to clean everything at once, as this does get rid of beneficial bacteria, it's worth cleaning off a surface area a week if this slime is really noticeable and/or an issue. How slimy would you say it is?

So the next time I do a water change I just replace the old water with water from the small tank?
As long as the water is dechlorinated and approximately the same temp as the water in the tank, you'll be fine.

Markgilst

Reaction score
I completely cleaned the tank out last night. I took out all the water, I totally rinsed the gravel, I somewhat wiped the tank's sides, you name it. I plan on buying some plants or looking for some algae in my pond though, and I already have some bacteria ceramic rings that were in a heavily stocked koi pond when I bought them. I've read that if mudpuppies don't have their gills "all the way out" that it means that the water is clean and cool, and my mudpuppy is like that right now.

jclee

Reaction score
This sounds like you're off to a good start. The thorough cleaning will mean you're re-starting the cycle, so test the water daily and do partial daily water changes until you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, an 5 or more ppm nitrate.

I also found this for you to read: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/substrate1.shtml. I do not know if mudpuppies are as prone to impaction as other large, aquatic salamanders, but it may be worth rethinking the gravel before putting the little guy back into the tank.

Markgilst

Reaction score
So I'm restarting the cycle even with the bacteria rings in there?

Oh, and I've already had the mudpuppy back in the tank. I talked over how to acclimate him and the bacteria on AC and they helped a little, so yeah.

He was only in the bucket for like 1-3 hours with the bacteria.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The bacteria rings will seed the tank with beneficial bacteria, so your cycle period should be short. But with the mudpuppy in the tank, you'll have to be really diligent about keeping your ammonia levels low now, until the cycle is complete.

Markgilst

Reaction score
The mudpuppy really hasn't eaten anything, and there's just 2 MTS in the tank with him. I've noticed that when the tank had ammonia before, the water was very bubbly and foamy, which it isn't anymore. How do I keep ammonia low in the tank?

jclee

Reaction score
The mudpuppy really hasn't eaten anything, and there's just 2 MTS in the tank with him. I've noticed that when the tank had ammonia before, the water was very bubbly and foamy, which it isn't anymore. How do I keep ammonia low in the tank?
The ammonia and the bubbly-foamy-ness were probably two different things. Get test kits for ammonia, NO2 (nitrite), and NO3 (nitrate), and check them daily. Daily water changes will keep the ammonia and NO2 low, until there are enough beneficial bacterias to manage them for you.

Markgilst

Reaction score
I just tested the water for ammonia. It's apparently at 0. I TOLD YOU HE HASN'T EATEN OR POOPED. I TOLD YOU. lol. Well anyways how do I keep the ammonia at 0 before something happens? There's no algae in the tank as far as I'm concerned; I took that out when I cleaned out the tank, and I'm worried that the bacteria rings might not be working that much. Should I add some washed off algae from my pond or what? Also I've noticed that the fungus will randomly appear on the salamander's back and on the next day it'll be gone, so it's like some sort of pattern. What does that mean?

Markgilst

Reaction score
The ammonia is low, but I plan on feeding the mudpuppy soon, which reminds me, I saw some green thing that looked like feces in the tank but it didn't affect the ammonia level, does that mean that the bacteria rings are working? Anyways I plan on feeding him soon so I wanted to buy maybe some North American plants to provide cover and keep the water clean.

Markgilst

Reaction score
I bought some duckweed looking plants and a snail, but I'm wondering if a snail's shell has any contributing bioload on it.

Markgilst

Reaction score
Would Hornwort be a good plant to buy? It seems like it would provide good cover for the mudpuppy and oxygenate the water well, and also suck up some of those potential nitrates.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!