Question: Fire belly newts won't enter water or eat

I would definitely advise either dropping the water level or getting a lot of plants - Elodea/Egeria, Cabomba etc - anything bulky that floats at the surface so the newts can climb amongst it and sit near the surface. You want the water column packed with plants. Also, you can make underwater platforms with rocks etc so that the newts can choose to be in shallower water if they want to and progress to the deeper water.

Chris

My water quality is very good. I test it all the time to make sure it is stable

I was on vacation so I couldn't post but anyways I lowered the water level and removed almost all land areas. There is only a few and those are partially aquatic. Two of the newts have dwelled underwater and have gained a lot of weight from the underwater food but the other two try there best to avoid the water. They will climb up the glass and stay there all day. These two newts are also skinny compared to the others. What should I do?

If the two are reacting so badly I think it might be a good idea to put them into a separate container and keep them terrestrially again until they regain weight - give a them a good hiding place and keep feeding them frequently. A plastic shoebox with a secure breathable lid would be ok for this temporary vivarium.
You can try putting them into the aquatic set up later again.

Good to hear the other two are doing well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back