Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Banna ceacilian

W

william

does anyone know anything about this species, I saw a pic of one on livingunderworld but they had no text on the species can anyone help me out. i've included a pic.

(Message edited by jennewt on October 12, 2004)

K

kaysie

William, to avoid having Jen go all 'law' on you (which, btw: I totally agree with her on), next time you post a pic, make sure you state WHERE you got the pic and WHO it belongs to. I'm not sure if this would totally override the (C) issues, but it definately helps.

E

edward

Hi William,
Icthyophis is a genus of egg laying caecilians whose larva pass through an aquatic phase. They feed on various invertebrates such as earthworms and may prey on small vertebrates.
Icthyophis are intermittantly imported into the USA, the last imports I am personally aware of were supposed to be I. kohtaoensis and were about three to four years ago.
There is an article in this months Reptiles Magazine that will give you some basic husbandry information.

Thanks for the help moderating Jen as I totally missed the issue with the picture.

Ed

W

william

i'm very sorry about that Jen. I won't do it again
blush.gif

G

greg

Ed,

I remember that import time period too. In fact I got 5 of them back then. Who knows if they were really this species though. I think they were imported from Malaysia.

E

edward

Do you still have then Greg? The longevity for this genus is over 15 years.....

Ed

G

greg

Nope. all of them fell into shadow about a year or so after getting them.

E

edward

That is a shame. This is now the second time I have regretted not getting any.

Ed

G

greg

And at least the second time I regret that mine all croaked.

next time... let's both get them and make them live longer. deal?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1