Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Questions about Caecilian

C

carlos

Hi, i brought a Caecilians today in the pet shop, anyone can share some caresheet about Caecilian???
Thank you!

E

edward

Hi Colin,
The species in question may not be Typhlonectes as there are at least three other species coming into the country legally. These are Dermophis, Geotrypetes, and Icthyophis. All of these are terrestrial and will probably drown if set-up in the manner described in your link.
In the first link there is suspect information provided by the authors of the care sheet. For a couple of quick examples, the vesicles that form when the Typhlonectes is under osmotic stress are not "air filled" but are filled with fluid although they also occasionally develop when the skin is attacked by an unidentified nematode.
Colonies of Typhlonectes has been maintained in Europe as well in various institutions in the USA for multiple generations. Long term survivial and reproduction is linked to maintaining the animals in water that is acidic and is not more than moderately hard. Water that has a pH >7 and is too hard has been linked to increased mortality (particuarly in neonates) and appears to inhibit reproduction. (In collections, reproduction is both more consistant and results in larger litters when the water is soft and acidic).

Ed

colin

Reaction score
yeah, i did ask what species he may have and supplied a link which was very general as at least a starting point. We both replied on exactly the same minute! LOL

very interesting info about the Typhlonectes as I had a pair of them a few years back, wish i hadn't given them away now...

I seen on Carlos's profile that he is in China, so maybe species availability is different there

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!