How can they be Illegal?

D

david

I was at the wholesalers today getting fish for the shop. They had T. Natans by the hundreds available. I have kept them before, and I have to many animals going now so I didn't get them but how do they get so many if they are illegal?

Because they are listed as a species of eel on the export permits and the import permits and the people at USF@W have not caught on to the listing again.. Colombia does not allow the export of vertebrate other than fish with only a couple of exceptions, farmed boas and iguanas. They are being illegly exported as fish and as such are illegal.
Ed

Hi John,
The last time the crackdown occured was because a west coast caecilian researcher pointed out the violation to USF&W (after aquiring specimens for her lab from an online source).
As they are not threatened or endangered and a few years ago, there was even a note in froglog about thier population actually expanding due to the practice of fishing villages dumping the fish guts into the water and providing an additional food source.
I don't know if anyone has notified them as of yet but I heard that they are currently helping USDA try and tgrack down some Giant African Land Snails that were illegally imported (Listed as an injurioius plant pest).

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back