Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

CA salamander trip photo gallery set online

FrogEyes

Reaction score
In the lizard section, the Petrosaurus pictures are mostly Sceloporus and Crotaphytus.
The "Laudakia" starts with Petrosaurus, and the third picture is Sceloporus.
The "Cyrtopodion" are all Sceloporus.
The second "Ctenosaura" appears to be an Acanthosaura.
The second and last "Agama" are Iguana iguana.
The fifth "Eublepharis macularius" appears to be Hemitheconyx caudicinctus.
The second "Varanus species" is a tegu, Salvator sp., S.merianae I think.
The "Tropidophorus grayi" is Tribolonotus gracilis.
Of the "Physignathus species", one is Basiliscus plumifrons, one is Iguana iguana, and the first four would now be classified [finally] as Intellagama lesueurii.
In salamanders, Pachytriton D is Pachytriton xanthospilos.
Pachytriton C is Paramesotriton labiatus.
The remainder labeled as Pachytriton, I would be very reluctant to assign an ID to, except to say the name P.labiatus does not apply to any. I doubt that there are any Paramesotriton longliensis pictured, but that's without re-checking against the descriptions of that species complex.

HWALL

Reaction score
Hai Frogeyes
thanks for taking the time to correct the errors, indeed reptiles are not my speciality/ cup of tea so I will adapt this ASAP.

Concerning the Paramesotriton I will give some re-work :happy: . When P. longliensis was originally described I was in touch with one of the people who attended /participated. Shortly thereafter these anmals popped up in the whole -sale pet store importer overhere in Germany and since they looked alot like the images I received from the longliensis and having heard that the expedition in China are mostly jointly made with pet -trade and scientists ( cost sharing) ... but you are right , it is not empiric, hence the question mark after the name. It's been quite a while (I am getting old ;-) but the import carried quite some orange colored specimens too and the tails of the male were actually quite long for Paramesotritons. Anyway I'll keep the question mark well visible and maybe try to get in touch again with my Chinese counterparty ;-) ( it's been a while )

Fine to see the D got a name, wished my C got one too , because these animals were actually quite atypical for Pachytriton too ( very rough skinned ...to such a point that when I initially got them I jokingly called them my 'dwarf 'andrias' instead :D

Anyway thanks for the remarks, it's appreciated. Will get to that soon.

HWALL

Reaction score
Just see that I skipped th part on Pachytriton C , which intruiges me alot. I have actually bred an reared these ( lost the juveniles in terrestrial phase) and so far the species stayed an enigma , even after contacting Zhao...

Do you have some more information regarding this species ranking ? I would be please to read more over this :happy:

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Pachytriton labiatus and Paramesotriton ermizhaoi were described from the same locality. The type specimens of Pachytriton labiatus are actually Paramesotriton, and are identical to Pac.sp.C and Par.ermizhaoi.

Consequently, Pachytriton C was described as Paramesotriton ermizhaoi, and later took the older name "labiatus", as Paramesotriton labiatus.

This also meant that the familiar large southwestern brown Pachytriton was now nameless. It gained the new name Pachytriton inexpectatus [also same locality], while the northeastern populations specifically assumed the old name Pachytriton granulosus.

Regarding other identities, I got the impression that more than anything else, some pictures got mixed up. I wasn't looking until the "Acris" got my attention!

HWALL

Reaction score
Well indeed I uploaded about 11.000 shots mostly from thumbnails over the last 3 months on the site and not all were in the right maps on the pc too... (from which I uploaded them). The global collection (incl. insects counts well over 170.000 shots ;-)) so I still have alot of work to do ( salamanders area about 30.000 shots... and a whole lot of slides too). But a right name tag is important to me too, so the support was helpfull and appreciated.

The Pachytriton news is exciting and all new to me, so I'll adapt accordingly. I still remember the lecture of Veith in Gersfeld where the genetic distance between the various Pachytriton species then ( incl. the brown ex-labiatus) were larger then some of the Cynops intespecies differences... now we can understand why, since it covers 2 genera ... odd how appearances can differ so much (between Paramestriton and ex-Pachytriton ) and appear so close for 2 animals from different genera (the now Paramesotriton labiatus versus ex - Pachytriton labiatus , now P. inexpectatus ...)

If now I can find a good slide scanner then I could post images of 3 more such trips (older trips) ;-)) and probably some more odd animals in various groups.

Thanks for the help ! and info

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!