Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What species are my salamanders?

GreerDalrymple

Reaction score
I bought 3 salamanders yesterday in Sydney, NSW Australia, but I don't know what species they are?
One is black, with a slightly white/grey marbled tail any underside, black eyes.
One seems to be albino or very light in colour, slightly pink with big blue eyes.
& the other is a murky orange with shiny gold spots all over him, he has reddish eyes.

I have already looked into them on caudate, but am unable to tell what they are!

They are all roughly 20cm's from tip to tail, fairly slim & all have reached sexual maturity as their finger tips are discoloured.

Please Help!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They're axolotls. Axolotls are the only species that are legally allowed in Australia.

frogman

Reaction score
I bought 3 salamanders yesterday in Sydney, NSW Australia, but I don't know what species they are?
One is black, with a slightly white/grey marbled tail any underside, black eyes.
One seems to be albino or very light in colour, slightly pink with big blue eyes.
& the other is a murky orange with shiny gold spots all over him, he has reddish eyes.

I have already looked into them on caudate, but am unable to tell what they are!

They are all roughly 20cm's from tip to tail, fairly slim & all have reached sexual maturity as their finger tips are discoloured.

Please Help!

The first one described is melanoid minus the green eyes because is gfp.
The second is leucistic not albino, it lacks pigment but will sometimes get it in the face and back,
And the third is golden albino.

I have the same three colors.
In order here are pics.

And the leucistic.

And the golden albino.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 19,485
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 177,709
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 2,620
Last edited by a moderator:

GreerDalrymple

Reaction score
I have axolotl'e aswell, these are definitely salamanders of some description.

Thankyou Frogman for clarifying that for me, :)

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Could you add some pictures, I also suspect they are axolotl, but maybe morphed ones? Google and see what you think. :D

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
Either that or axolotls in poor condition, might have some major gill shrinkage? Just a thought :happy:

GreerDalrymple

Reaction score
I can't upload any from my phone, but I will tomorrow on my computer.

They all seem healthy & are eating bugs, worms etc without any abvious signs of stress.
Again, I am fairly positive they are not axolotl's, possibly morphed though.
They are choosing land over the available water source aswell.

Thanks for all the reply's :)

frogman

Reaction score
Hmmm,

Ya I was wondering why you didn't mention big fluffy gills.

Post pics

GreerDalrymple

Reaction score
They look much alike to morphed axolotls to me, but I'm still unsure.
Here are their pics :)
Thanks for all the suggestions!:happy:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 1,046
  • gisdnfg.jpg
    gisdnfg.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 976
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 1,419

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
I'd have to agree with you - how unusual! Axolotls don't morph very often, I find it extraodinary if not a little worrying to find 3 at once. I wonder how the store acquired them..

GreerDalrymple

Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying that :)

Me too, chemically is the only way I've heard of it, I'm contacting the shop to make further inquires of where they came from.
:(

If anyone has tips on their needs, please let me know.
I'll be looking up new are sheets now but any help would be great.

GreerDalrymple

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, Jennewt, very interesting stuff
Very upsetting that they have most likely been hurt in the morph process, I am very against that sort of thing & never would have bought them if I knew that. :(

I should have looked into it more before I bought them, but now that I know what they are, I hope they can lead a happy remaining life!

Neil C

Reaction score
Keep them cool and damp and they should be fine. You must have paid a fair bit for them as morphed axolotl here are not cheap.

Regards Neil

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1