Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What are more active Salamanders or Newts?

SkinksGalore77

Reaction score
Hey Guys I am researching trying to find a good newt or salamander to get but I want to get one that will be more active. Based on your experience with caring for newts and salamanders which do you think are more active? These are some examples of species I am looking into:

Green Marbled Newt
Marbled Salamander
Red Salamander
Fire Salamander
Apline Newt
Crocodile Newt

Thanks for your help

stanleyc

Reaction score
Newts are a kind of salamander. But as for your question, I really have not much experience, although I can say that marbled salamanders are very secretive.

otolith

Reaction score
Out of your list I would say Alpine Newts will be the most active. Since they can be kept aquatically they are easy to appreciate and will inevitably begin to beg for food and react to you. Most of the other species you mentioned will need to be kept terrestrially at least part of the year where they will mostly hide under things until you feed them or turn off the lights.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe Cynops pyrrhogaster or Hypselotriton orientalis would be a good bet, they are both colourful aquatic species and make good pets if you start with healthy captive bred animals.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think newts are more active. Newts are more aquatic types of salamanders (in general) meaning they don't burrow, but swim around in a tank, which gives the viewer/owner more to see. Alpine newts and marbled newts will swim around the most, but crocodile newts will come to beg for food, roll over, jump through hoops, and juggle.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If you want caudates that are "active" then go for fully aquatic ones. Terrestrial species are never very active.
It´s not like aquatic species are a riot of constant activity but you at least get to see them do something.

sde

Reaction score
I think newts are more active. Newts are more aquatic types of salamanders (in general) meaning they don't burrow, but swim around in a tank, which gives the viewer/owner more to see. Alpine newts and marbled newts will swim around the most, but crocodile newts will come to beg for food, roll over, jump through hoops, and juggle.

Your joking about the jump through hoops and juggle part right? If not I WANT SOME!!!! :D.

sde

Reaction score
No offense, but why? I wouldn't do years of painstaking work just to have them do tricks. Though it would be cool!

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, as I have no life, it's nothing to me to spend two to three hours every day working them. Just yesterday one of them finally managed to throw one ball up into the air and catch it. In another year he might be able to do two, and one more year, three, and then presto, he's a juggler! It might seem like a lot of work but if I didn't do it, in three years I'd still have them, we'd all be three years older, and we'd have nothing to show for it, most likely they wouldn't be juggling at all. It's very rare for them to learn it on their own without owner effort. You have to look at the big picture and be patient for the rewards that age and wisdom bring.

sde

Reaction score
Sooo, how do you do it? And....could you...maybe post a video....? I would love to see this!!!! maybe I will try? -Seth

SkinksGalore77

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help guys.
So as far as crocodile newt and green marbled newt how much of the year are they terrestrial? When they are aquatic are they always in the water or just semi-aquatic?

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Remember the singing frog from the Bugs Bunny cartoons? As soon as I whip out a camera or have an audience, he just sits there like a toad and blinks.

Seth, maybe you'd better have one of your parents read this thread with you. They could explain what's going on.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In the UK we're not allowed to train our newts to do tricks because it falls under the same laws that prevent circuses from having performing animals any more :(

sde

Reaction score
Remember the singing frog from the Bugs Bunny cartoons? As soon as I whip out a camera or have an audience, he just sits there like a toad and blinks.

Seth, maybe you'd better have one of your parents read this thread with you. They could explain what's going on.

If mine don't work, they don't eat.

Ahh geez! You are kidding me! Man, I am sooo gullible on the internet! I think I will go punch my fridge for a while. -Comes back with bruised knuckles-. :cry:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!