Jabba is already beginning to morph! What do I do?

I hope he eats too, you may want to also try finger/tong feeding his food as well, the extra movement may stimulate him to eat as well. He looks healthy and fed, are you sure he hasn't eaten and you didn't see it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jabba looks like he could go at least a month or two without eating, so I wouldn't be too worried yet.

I think jabba ate a worm today!
This morning he was acting different than usual, instead of being buried or burrowing he had been out on top to the soil for a few hours before getting in his watering bowl. I dangled a worm in front of him and he looked interested but didn't take a bite, after a short while of dangling I had to go to work so I dropped the worm into the bowl with him and left. When I came home this evening jabba was still in the bowl but the worm was nowhere in sight :) it's possible that the worm could have burrowed into the coconut fiber but it wasn't under his bowl or anywhere else I looked
006686870005df04a1048718ea5c71a3.jpg

I dropped another worm in with him before bed.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Fantastic news, and Jabba looks adorable in he water bowl. :happy:

Great news! He's probably starting to equate you to food now, that's probably why he was on the surface

Jabba is eating! Hurray! He will only go for the worms in his water bowl but as long as he is eating I'm fine with that. In the picture he is eating a Canadian night crawler, but I think I might go back to baby crawlers, as it takes him a while to get these down.
ec5fdd6047235ead082a322fc165d4cf.jpg

My juveniles used to all go into their water bowl to feed. Maybe they remember how they used to feed aquatically. Over time they did stop. It's lovely to see Jabba happily feeding :)

Jabba is a very nice looking salamander congratulations

He's very impressive size to

I have two tiger salamander ( adults I think) that are only about half as big as him

Watching Jabba's morphing progression in your pictures was so cool! Thanks so much for sharing. He's a good looking guy, and I'm glad he's started eating again for you :D.

Thank you for sharing this process in pictures. It's extremely helpful. :) I bought and axolotl that ended up being a tiger salamander and I had no idea what to expect. I feel a bit more confident after seeing your pictures. :)

Sometimes they won't feed for a little while. I used to patiently dangle worms in front of any promising tiger shaped holes and wait for the worm to be snatched. They quickly worked out that as soon as I went near them, that worms would appear. A few escaped worms will be fine..snacks for later :)

:thumbup::)

I think jabba ate a worm today!
This morning he was acting different than usual, instead of being buried or burrowing he had been out on top to the soil for a few hours before getting in his watering bowl. I dangled a worm in front of him and he looked interested but didn't take a bite, after a short while of dangling I had to go to work so I dropped the worm into the bowl with him and left. When I came home this evening jabba was still in the bowl but the worm was nowhere in sight :) it's possible that the worm could have burrowed into the coconut fiber but it wasn't under his bowl or anywhere else I looked
006686870005df04a1048718ea5c71a3.jpg

I dropped another worm in with him before bed.

twinkle

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back