Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Normal Coloration for Axolotl? Gravel Ingestion?

blueroses56

Reaction score
I just brought home my first axolotl, a GFP lucy from a local breeder I met through FB. I noticed s/he has a greenish underbelly. Is this normal for a GFP axolotl?

I am concerned because when cleaning her tub today I noticer a small hard stone in her poop. It is bright blue-green and looks to me like aquarium gravel. There is no way I can think of that she could have ingested gravel since I got her. This made me worry that I might be seeing ingested gravel and not normal color.

Additionally, she has some pink marks on her tail. I at first assumed they were normal, but I want to make sure the marks are not from ammonia burn or something like that.

Attachments

• 20180916_002714.jpg
    20180916_002714.jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 387
  • 20180916_002520.jpg
    20180916_002520.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 229
  • 20180916_002649.jpg
    20180916_002649.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 215

ShrimpShepherd

Reaction score
I just brought home my first axolotl, a GFP lucy from a local breeder I met through FB. I noticed s/he has a greenish underbelly. Is this normal for a GFP axolotl?

I am concerned because when cleaning her tub today I noticer a small hard stone in her poop. It is bright blue-green and looks to me like aquarium gravel. There is no way I can think of that she could have ingested gravel since I got her. This made me worry that I might be seeing ingested gravel and not normal color.

Additionally, she has some pink marks on her tail. I at first assumed they were normal, but I want to make sure the marks are not from ammonia burn or something like that.

Those are the axolotl's intestines, stomach, and other organs.

Acacia

Reaction score
Based on other pictures of GFP axies under regular lighting, the green tinge is normal. However, the gravel may be from whoever previously housed her. I'd just keep an eye on her and see if there's any more- as long as she's eating and passing stool normally I wouldn't worry! I don't know about the pink tail marks, though- best of luck!

blueroses56

Reaction score
Thank you for your response! Unfortunately, since then she has passed another 3 pieces of gravel, so it seems likely it was an issue with the previous owner. I will continue to keep an eye on her.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!