Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Breeding Paddletails

H

hayden

Hello all. I have a pair of Paddle Tail Newts, and the female is very Plump in her belly even though she eats much less...I think she is full of eggs and was wondering if there is anyway to tell for sure and if there is how can i make it easier for them to breed. They are fanning their tails in her face. I know this is flirting with other newts but Does it apply to Paddles.

C

chris

Hayden
what temperature are they at? Provide earthenware flower pots upturned with a door just big enough for the female to fit through in the rim. She will lay round the inside rim and then guard. I've not done this myself, but I knnow someone who does it fairly regularly. Raising the eggs can be quite difficult.
Tail fanning is a courting activity
Watch for aggression
Chris

H

hayden

I have a hollow stump that Is barely big enough for them to get in...They are at room temp. umm prolly 68-70. Ill get a thermometer. I will try the Flower pot idea.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!