Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fresh Ambystomas

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
I've had the joy of watching some A. Maculatum and A. Opacum morph. I've had these Salamanders for acouple months now and they've morphed recently. These guys are eating pinheads and fruitflies. Its amazing how their color is starting to show. Heres some photo evidence of my recent joy.

Attachments

• spotted1.JPG
    spotted1.JPG
    218.5 KB · Views: 468
  • spotted7.JPG
    spotted7.JPG
    193 KB · Views: 363
  • fresh morph7.JPG
    fresh morph7.JPG
    226.3 KB · Views: 380
  • spotted4.JPG
    spotted4.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 352
  • fresh morph2.JPG
    fresh morph2.JPG
    246 KB · Views: 409
  • fresh morph3.JPG
    fresh morph3.JPG
    225.1 KB · Views: 386

sirus14

Reaction score
i had some streamside salamanders and jeffersons salamanders morph this year. my spotted larvae just morphed two months ago and it still has no spots. its all black. is this normal? how long until the spots appear?

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
No spots? Mine have spots and others are showing signs of getting spots. Its been about a month for these guys. Some A. Maculatum lack spots depending on where your at. I know for sure Michigan Spotteds have spots all across their backs with orange spots on thier heads. Theres even a population here in MI where some individuals lack spots. Imagine seeing a spotted salamander with no spots. Show us some photos.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
NICE! I've never seen so many of them! Now thats real eye candy right there! Thanks for sharing that with us!

marco

Reaction score
Have people managed to breed these Ambystoma species or are they captive farmed? If the first could anyone share tips on breeding as I thought they were very difficult to breed.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
From what I have heard they are very difficult to breed with a few expections. There have been a few succesful breedings in Europe but I think they still required outdoor enclosures to get the results.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Justin your right. I know a local biologist who has bred his spottless salamander in a outdoor enclosure. I think he has success with A. Opacum aswell. I haven't got an update on his larvae yet, but I am going to see him soon. I'll get some advice from him and then share it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1