Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Book Review: War with the Newts by Karel Čapek

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
War with the Newts by Karel Čapek (1890-1938)

You have probably never heard of Karel Čapek (1). But you have heard the word "robot", which HE invented and introduced to the world on January 26, 1921, in a play called R.U.R. (Rossum's Universal Robots). And if that impresses you, wait until you read War with the Newts.

This is not really a book about newts, though the book demonstrates that the author is familiar with newt biology. Rather, this is a wise, extremely witty novel about the barbarous nature of humankind that uses newts as a plot device.
But it's a fun book, a funny book, and a top-notch read.

The plot is basically this: a Dutch sea captain, Capt. Van Toch, discovers a unique pelagic race of giant newts found only on one island near Sumatra.
This is silly, as we know; newts are not salt-water animals. They don't even tolerate brackish water. But if you can- à la Coleridge- willingly suspend your disbelief, then you are in for a few great laughs and maybe more great insights. He dubs these newts, with a total length of 4'6", Andrias scheuchzeri.
The natives call them “tapa” or “sea-devils” that creepily blink with their bottom eyelids (sic) (2).
The newts want to eat the oysters they can easily get but can't open, and Capt. Van Toch wants pearl oysters but can't dive to get them himself. Also, the major predator of these newts is sharks, so they work out a trade of pearl oysters for harpoons to kill the sharks and knives to open the oysters.
The Captain brings the newts with him on his south sea travels, and thus they begin to spread.
The newts are proficient in building dams, which gives them areas to lay their eggs. They can also repeat human words, and he teaches them how to talk. The Captain finds a financial backer and the newts begin to be sold around the world. No longer mere collectors of pearls and coral, they are hired to do all manner of underwater building: dams, excavations, dykes, etc. Maintaining coastlines, they also build up new lands (back then, this was science fiction; now, it's Dubai).
Despite being a profitable venture, Captain van Toch is clearly attached to, and cares about, "his" newts. But after his death the "Salamander Syndicate" begins to exploit them as cheap labor in order to cut expenses. Well, billions of newts are spread to all the coasts and countries, and eventually man and newt come into conflict (hence the name of the story).
A master of "black humor", Čapek makes fun of everything his plot encounters.
He starts by mocking the way sailors curse on the first page, and before he's finished on page 241, he's satirized anti-Semitism, average intelligence, big egos, black marketeering, businessmen, capitalism, Christianity, collectors, communism, drunks, sailors, drunken sailors, economics, trends and theories in education, exploitation, fads, fashion, footnotes (at one point the book actually footnotes itself! Sheer comic genius!), greed, hypocrisy, government hypocrisy, intellectuals, journalism, linguistics, maleness, femaleness, romantic love, morality, hypocritical morality, nationalism, Nazism, people who try to further their own agendas disguised as caring for others, people who act as patrons for others so they can take advantage of them, people who look for reasons to be offended, and one we all share: people who don't know lizards from salamanders. He ridicules pollution, racism, religion, religious fads, scape-goating, self-aggrandizement, sophistry, speechifying, taxes, temper tantrums, war, the wealthy, women's clubs, and finally: science, scientific language, scientific research, treatises, conferences, discovery and debate, especially of the long-winded type (when the scientists are fighting about what scientific name to give the newts in the story, it reminded me of recent developments in the chronicle of our alpine friend).

The book was first published in 1936, "when it was still possible to laugh at Adolph Hitler", according to the intro. For example, the Germans decide that their newts are superior, lighter in color, walk more erect, and christen them "the Baltic newt" or the “German Super Newt” which is "indisputably superior to all the other Salamanders. With contempt they described the degenerate Mediterranean Newts, stunted both physically and morally, the savage tropical Newts, and altogether the low, barbarian, and bestial Salamanders of the other nations" (p. 193). The Germans rewrite the history and origin of the newts, attributing Germany as their original home and all other newts of the world as being genetically degenerate from their original, pure stock.

Čapek’s portrayal of the coldness and cruelty of some scientific experiments presaged the German treatment of people in concentration camps so thoroughly that it is beyond funny, but rather disturbing to read (the original was written in 1936 and the cruelty of concentration camps didn't begin until WW2). But I'm also reminded of something I read in Petranka's book (p. 492): "Greater sirens maintain relatively large fat reserves in their tails and are able to withstand prolonged periods without food...One siren maintained without food at about 22º died 26 months later after losing 45% of its initial body weight. A second died after 5.2 years after losing 86% of its initial weight." That sounds like it could have come right out of an Auschwitz medical log. Ugh. Some things never change.
One of his jabs at fads is that the newts speak a simplified version of whatever language they are taught, sort of like LOL-speak, but then it becomes a fashion for everyone to speak like that. LOL speak for newts, John! For everyone!

Last time I read this book, I thought that people without somewhat of a familiarity with European history wouldn't get a lot of the humor, and maybe not enjoy it as much as I did. But I've learned so much about salamanders since then, that now I'm enjoying it more because there were things I didn't find so funny about the science parody before, that I get now. So now I think that if you have a good salamander science background, you'll find a lot to amuse you even if your history background is not so great.
I read one Amazon review where someone criticized the copious use of footnotes. That reader did not understand that these footnotes are all a parody of scientific discourse.
Some cultural jokes will be understood by being familiar with The German Migration of Peoples (Völkerwanderung) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migration_Period), and a Faustian Bargain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faust). I had to look up this word, also: dolichocephalic (p. 194), which means "long headed".
But even if you don't get all the cultural jokes, there is still plenty to entertain, and you can just resolve to become more acquainted with European history, and then read it again someday. It's well worth rereading and I’m glad I did for this review.

I won't say how the war ends, but wouldn't it be nice to think that somewhere the newts would win out over big business? That nature might have a chance against human(notvery)kind? The book is both a goal AND a fun journey. He makes his points but he had tons of fun along the way. You can tell Čapek really enjoyed writing it, and you will enjoy reading it.
This bare outline doesn't begin to do the depth and humor of the book justice. If you like sarcasm, black humor, social commentary, and newts, settle down with this book and have a good read.

You can read the book free online here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=QC...sig=plkA-UVciUfclAzXlNqMRECvPaA&hl=en#PPA1,M1
or here, with its downloadable pdf file:
http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/c/capek/karel/newts/index.html
http://etext.library.adelaide.edu.au/c/capek/karel/newts/newts.zip

I find the second “Adelaide.edu” translation more readable. If you’re going to sneakily print it out at work, remember, it’s about 240+ pages.

But if you prefer a 3D copy with a real cover that you can sniff and lick, it is available on Amazon (with a variety of covers) starting at $2.27. RUR is available as a Dover Thrift edition for $2 and on Amazon starting at $3.72. It's another worthy read and one I did in about an hour, it's only 58 pages.

=========================================================================
(1) Pronounced “Chop-ek”, according to the intro.
(2) Čapek has a thorough grounding in the natural history of newts; his newt science fiction does not leave the well-educated reader snickering over his ignorance. Even his fanciful description of scheuchzeri's mating habits is a parody of actual salamander mating behaviors that I found humorously entertaining.
And he has the good sense to know how cute newts are.

Attachments

• 05c.JPG
    05c.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,049
  • RUR.JPG
    RUR.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,872
Last edited:

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I picked up the Catbird Press version of this book on line. It's pretty interesting. When Capek talks about the behavior of the giant saltwater newts you would swear he is talking about real newts. Chapter 8 about Andrew Scheucher the giant salamander at the London Zoo is hilarious. Andrew learns to talk and eventually learns how to read the newspaper. People would come from all around to visit the newt and carry on a conversation with him. He got sick from all of the chocolate and sweets that people brought him and eventually died. "As can be seen, fame demoralizes even newts."

Their is lots of dark humor and rye jokes. This book was written in 1936 but is still timely. Some of the jokes might be a little obscure but most come pretty easily. I was hoping to give this book to Dr. Osselmann as a Christmas present but now see that she has already read it.

It cost me 1.00 plus not much for shipping on Ebay.

Nathan050793

Reaction score
I'd heard about this book, and was interested in reading it. Now after Dawn's wonderful review, I feel I have no choice! I believe this may be my next book of choice...

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I'm looking for my next book to read. Maybe I'll just read "Idiots Guide to Reptiles and Amphibians" or "The Everything Aquarium Book."

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Interestingly, Jules Verne's "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" also mentions giant sea salamanders seen off, if I recall correctly, the coast of Japan. It was written 66 years before this book. Maybe people truly believed such sea creatures existed. I could imagine Verne being very upset to discover he'd made such a zoological blunder.

evut

Reaction score
I have received as requested a copy of this book from my family - a 5th edition from 1936, in Czech of course. I can only agree with all the praise in Dawn's review.

I was very impressed with the author's insight into human nature and his amazing abilities to foresee where it's going to lead humans. Apparently, we've been on this path to destruction of selves and everything else for a long time. I was surprised to read about the greed of multinational corporations, globalisation and indeed the building of artificial land. I'm not sure if reading about these supposedly current themes in a book more than 70 years old should make me feel better or worse.

One of the parts of the book I enjoyed most is where Captain Van Toch (Czech bloke named Vantoch in reality...hilarious!) speaks to or about the animals - it's so adorable, especially the way he calls them "ještěrkové" - lizards, but with an incorrect suffix. (I wonder what the translation is...?)

One thing I cannot get over is the use of the word "newt" in the English translation. The Czech name of this book is "War with the Salamanders". Czech language is lucky to have it's own word ("mlok") while also being able to use the word "salamandr". I think the word "newts" in the translation is used simply because the title sounds better with it. (?) The animals in the book, in my opinion, can't be called newts. It's wrong. They are salamanders.

You can check the pronunciation of Karel Čapek here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karel_%C4%8Capek

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!