S.a.atra

Niels D

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Today we've got a new couple. Never thought I would find them so soon. Joy!
IMG_3163.jpg

IMG_3170.jpg

I have several myself, they are lovely little sals

In the Netherlands we're not allowed to keep Salamandra salamandra sp, so you can imagine how jealeous I am when I read the names of the salamandra species you've kept. Lucky for me my favourite fire salamanders are infraimmaculata and atra. The first I love for it's size the second for it's black colour.

Gorgeous animal. I also love this species :D

So finding these guys is not that difficult these days? I assumed they were extremely rare. Are they being bred in bigger numbers or something?

No, they're still rare I guess, but there was a member of the Dutch newt and salamander association who offered them for sale and I was the first to react. I know a couple of people who keep them, but I just started my quest finding them. There's one down side though, you hardly see them once they're in their container.

One of my favourite species. I have a nice group of them too. Its not so difficult to bring them to eat from your fingers, they are really fast eaters, faster than I've ever expected when I started with them (5years ago) :D

Flo

At the moment I have 2 cb 2010. I have them in a small plastic box on gravel with moss and some hiding places.

In september I get 6 adults and I want to build a big terrarium outside 1 meter x 1 meter to house them. In wintertime when there is frost I take the terrarium inside. I want to know what substrate is being used as a base for this precious salamandra. I am planning to use a lot of stones for hiding, some wood, ferns and lots of moss

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back