Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Melanoid x leucistic??

Isnototoro

Reaction score
Hi me and my friend want to breed axolotls (each of us get a adult) but I want a melanoid and she wants a leuistic. I've heard that those are both recessive traits so would the offspring all be wild types? We wanted to have melanoid and/ or leuistic offspring! Thanks!

mikeg

Reaction score
Re: Melanoid x leuistic??

Depends on the Axolotls genetic lines. If they both contain Melanoid and Leucistic genetics then your offspring sound be a mix of both or what ever other genetic traits they share.

Isnototoro

Reaction score

Okay thanks! I'll have to look for the parents to be leucistic x melanoid :D

auntiejude

Reaction score

It's impossible to tell for certain without knowing the parents and siblings of your pair. You could get all wildtypes, or a mix of half a dozen different types. But yes, you are likely to get a proportion of ildtypes from a melanoid x leucistic pairing.

Lexolotl

Reaction score

I know this post is several days old, but I have a Leucistic male and Melanoid female. Their eggs have produced golden albino, white albino, leucistic, melanoid, and wildtype larvae.

Flee

Reaction score
I have had over 200 eggs hatch yesterday and the mother is Leucistic and the father Melanoid and from looking at the babies I would say I have 70% Leucistic and the other 30% mixed and 1 who I am very excited about it is 2 colours split straight down the middle. Hope It stays that way ..:happy:

keiko

Reaction score
1 who I am very excited about it is 2 colours split straight down the middle. Hope It stays that way ..:happy:

Sounds like you might have a chimera. :)

auntiejude

Reaction score
So from that we can deduce that the melanoid carries a leucistic gene.

If you can figure out what the others are - albino/wild/melanoid - I can give you a more accurate idea of the genetics of the parents.

Flee

Reaction score
No Albino, and as a guess I would say 20% wild and 10% Mel but I am no expert like you are :happy: so when I finally work out how to move my photo’s from my new camera to my computer I will post some. You may say I am way off :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!