Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can mudpuppies metamorphosize?

schmiggle

Reaction score
Just to be clear, this is purely a question out of curiosity, not something I ever intend to attempt, but can mudpuppies be induced to metamorphosize, like axolotls? Alternatively, do they ever metamorphosize on their own? What about sirens? And do fully aquatic salamanders that do metamorphosize, like cryptobranchids or amphiumas, ever remain neotenous?

Rupert

Reaction score
I don't believe mudpuppies and sirens are neotenic at all, so there is no "metamorphosis" available.

schmiggle

Reaction score
According to the following sources, mudpuppies are neotenic:
JSTOR: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie
And
Toronto Zoo | Mudpuppy
And according to this source, so are sirens (and, incidentally, amphiumas):
https://books.google.com/books?id=6...24Swkn#v=onepage&q=sirenidae neotenic&f=false
Since these salamanders become adults with larval characteristics (gills, legs unable to bear weight on land), I'm not sure how they could not be neotenic. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the definition of neoteny.

sde

Reaction score
"If metamorphosis cannot even be induced by artificial means, as is the case with the olm ( Proteus anguinus ), scientists call it obligatory neoteny." Quote from Salamanders keeping and breeding, F. pasmans, H. Janssen, S. Bogaerts, M. Sparreboom.
I believe they are obligatory neotones, but i could be wrong.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
No they can not morph onto to land nor can they be induced to morph. Proteidae is a genus of true gilled salamanders. Even though not all species under Proteidae have external gills, some have internal gills. Hellbenders for example, they still have internal gills as adults hence the name Cryptobranchus branchus essentially meaning hidden gills.

Hope this helps.

schmiggle

Reaction score
That is very interesting. I did not realized that many amphibians have internal gills, or that there were degrees of obligatory neoteny. Thanks for all of the information.

Rupert

Reaction score
That is very interesting. I did not realized that many amphibians have internal gills, or that there were degrees of obligatory neoteny. Thanks for all of the information.

I was under the notion that if they cannot be induced to morph they were not neotenic, but apparently that is not the case.

Sorry if I confused anybody:(

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with asking questions. Even if you research, you may not always find answers.

kamil

Reaction score
No they can not morph onto to land nor can they be induced to morph. Proteidae is a genus of true gilled salamanders. Even though not all species under Proteidae have external gills, some have internal gills. Hellbenders for example, they still have internal gills as adults hence the name Cryptobranchus branchus essentially meaning hidden gills.

Hope this helps.

Hellbenders are Cryptobranchidae, not Proteidae. :tongue:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!