Axolotls and Tank

dot

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's been a while since I've posted pictures of my axolotls - Bucky, Satchel, Connor and Murphy, along with their tank.

Some of you may remember back in July/August when I first got them and how teenie Bucky and Satchel were.

Here are some updates.
happy.gif

Tank with Satchel, as she's nosey and it's nearly impossible lately to get a picture without her in it.
29146.jpg

Satchel - Female Wild-type, approx. 10 months
29147.jpg

Bucky - Female Wild-type, approx. 10 months
29148.jpg

Bucky
29149.jpg

Connor - Female Golden Albino, approx. 8 months
29150.jpg

Connor and Murphy (Male Leucistic, approx. 8 months)
29151.jpg

Very nice dot! I enjoyed the Bucky close ups lol

What size is that tank? 30 gal breeder? I'm not sure I have seen one with those dimensions.

Thanks Cynthia!

Close, it's only a 29G breeder. It seems to work really well, but I do have to clean it out more often, but I don't mind.
happy.gif

Dot, love your tank! Also your axies are gorgeous! Thanks for your pics. I have never seen a tank like that. Where did you acquire your tank from?

yeah! do tell the tank is awesome, the only way i could get one of those is ordering custom tanks

Hi and thanks --

I got the tank at the White Plains reptile expo back in August 04, from Twin Oaks (http://glasscages.com). I bought mine for $21 and I think they're the same price on the website.

As of right now, Bucky and Satchel are roughtly 8 inches, Connor (golden albino) is 6.5-7 and Murphy (leucistic) is around 6.5".

Dot - 21$ is a sweet price!

That web page says the 29 gallon is
12½ x 30 x 6

Is your tank that size? Your tank looks taller than 6" and wider than 6".

That page is a great resource, they make several "wide and low" tanks. Thanks for listing it.

Thanks Mike and Michael! Or Michaelx2 (;))

Michael - I got the golden and the leucistic from Alfred Ojeda at White Plains ... by chance are they from your stock? (I got them at the August 04 NYMRE.)

Mike - And the axolotls like you too. :D

Cynthia - Yep, the tank's that size. It looks taller maybe because I don't use a substrate? The Twin Oaks people rule and I can't recommend them enough.

VERY nice Dot!!

Sorry I didnt reply sooner, been AWOL for a few days.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back