AB Press: Why did the salamander cross the road?

wes_von_papineäu

Our Roving Correspondent
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Wes von Papineäu
THE BOUNDARY (Pincher Creek, Alberta) 16 May 08 Why did the salamander cross the road? (Jocelyn Mercer)
In the past the long-toed salamander has had a pretty tough life in Waterton Lakes National Park. So bad, that the critter has found himself labelled a Species of Special Concern in Alberta, but staff at the park are hoping to change all that.
Masters student Katie Pagnuccon has been out in Waterton since April investigating the habits of the slimy salamanders.
According to Pagnuccon the amphibians’ numbers have been on the decline because of a road that runs straight through their trail from their overwintering habitat to Linnet Lake where they breed.
“Their populations have a long history of research,” says Pagnuccon. A study conducted in 1994 demonstrated that the little critters’ numbers were falling by about 10 per cent every year. In 2001 a study revealed that number was up to 40 per cent.
“A large percentage of the population are being decimated by the road.”
Between April and June every year the salamanders slide down from their winter habitat to breed in the lake and then return back soon after their deed is done. There’s a second crossing later in the year in August and September when the salamander eggs in Linnet Lake hatch and the youngsters march over the road to join their parents for the winter.
Since April, Pagnuccon’s had the rather macabre job of checking the road every morning for casualties. Luckily numbers are a little less this season thanks to a handy fence and live bucket traps.
“We’ve got fencing on both sides of the road and traps, buckets buried in the ground. They bump along the fence until they fall into the traps,” explains Pagnuccon.
These traps allows her to find out the most popular crossing areas along the road and Pagnuccon gets the opportunity to tag the salamanders with a special kind of paint under their skin, which allows her to track them on their return journey. Once she’s caught and tagged the critters, she also gives them a helping hand across to the other side of the road.
“This past couple of days it’s been really busy,” she says. “We had 104 yesterday and 74 this morning.”
That’s more than Pagnuccon expected, which is a good sign for the salamanders.
With so many little charges to deal with, Pagnuccon has become pretty quick with her tagging, which minimizes the amount of handling necessary. Early in the morning when she goes out to collect the critters, they tend to be rather sedate, because of the cooler temperatures. This makes applying the paint a little easier. Later in the day, when it starts to heat up is when the salamanders start to get a little feisty. The paint is one of the most humane methods of labelling the salamanders, she says, adding that passing a UV light over their bodies is a quick way to read their tags.
A twist will be added to Pagnuccon’s research later this season. Parks Canada is hoping to install four special underground tunnels for the little critters to cross the road without assistance within the next few weeks. The tunnels, which will go under the section of road along Linnet Lake, will be 60 centimetres by 50 wide. Once these are in place Pagnuccon will be able to test just how effective they are.
http://www.watertonboundary.com/News/401359.html

Sorry, I'm relatively new to the forum - are we allowed to coment on these articles?

-Eva

Comments on Press Items

Dear Eva;
Your comments on press and newspaper items (or on anything posted on Caudata.org for that matter) are not only permissible ... but desired and encouraged! Your comments based on your individual experiences and opinion is what makes a good forum better.
Since you're new here; please don't mistake the Press/News Items forum being my own private preserve ... it is just that I have the time and resources available to me to conduct press searches for newt and salamander items. Anybody can post press items here ... as long as you give due credit to the paper, the author, the press service if possible, the original URL ... and do not post photographs.
In fact, (since it is very apparent now that you are fully bi-lingual in German-English, if not more), you could contribute in a unique way to this site by posting German-language items, giving a short synopsis in English for the benefit of us that do not read German well, and ... most importantly, what 'you' think of the item.
Intelligent and polite comment about any item posted to Caudata.org is "fair game" and encouraged ... as will be other people's comments on anything you post.
So, with that in mind ... what did you have in mind to say about this press item?

Tchuß
Wes
Your Caudata.org paperboy
(Please note, Our site author John Clare has not seen nor approved of my little paragraph here, but I don't think that I have said anything that violates Caudata.org policy or his implied intention. Any error remains mine of course).

Well, I am just a bit put off by the tone of the article. It seems that when reporting about an animal population that is being "decimated", one could be more respectful than consistently referring to them as "critters" or even "little critters" that "slide down", etc. I don't think the salamanders are called "animals" even once. (It's also been a long time since I've held one, but are salamanders really slimy?) I guess in summary I find the tongue-in-cheek humor inappropriate to the content and vaguely offensive.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back