Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Reptile sand??

kira

Reaction score
I got a larger tank for my fast growing little ones (YAY). Anyway, I am about to decorate.

I have a whole heap of 'reptile sand', which is not calci-sand, left over from my geckos tank. I got a couple of handfuls and put it in a clean bowl of water. After a really good rinse, the water came clean and has stayed clear ever since. (I started doing this a month and a half ago)

I decided to experiment, and like you would with a normal tank (the sand is still in the bowl), I have been doing regular partial water changes and testing the pH. So far the water has stayed clear and the pH has not risen (or lowered for that matter).

The sand is not really fine, in fact the grain is like beach sand.

Hmmm, should I use it (it is a really pretty earthy colour!!?)?

AD: I need to use more sand because the tank is much bigger and I have live plants!

inkozana

Reaction score
I know the sand you mean, and I also want to use it for my tank when I get my hands on a leucistic because I think the colours would go well together.
It should be fine for your axolotl, just check on the package that it is JUST the sand nothing added.
I don't know how plants will be growing in that sand though.. you could test it out but I don't know..

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, I think it should be fine.

kira

Reaction score
Well I called the pet shop that I bought the sand from (don't know why I didn't do this first) and they advised me that the axies would be ok but the plants wouldn't be because the sand has a dye in it (apparently they could go red!) So I'm thinking that if it's not good for my plants, then its not good for my axies (I don't won't the risk hurting them). I think that I am just going to buy more of the purple sand that Stef loves.

Thanks Jen and Stef:D

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
...they advised me that the axies would be ok but the plants wouldn't be because the sand has a dye in it ... So I'm thinking that if it's not good for my plants, then its not good for my axies...

Good for you. "It's ok for axolotls but not for plants" sure sounds like stupidity to me. Could it possibly be true?

-Eva

IanF

Reaction score
If it has dyes that can dye plants, it'll do the same to the water and the Axolotls. Plus reptile sand might have calcium in it... might affect the water pH or something along those lines. I feel I've just pointed out the obvious but there you go... =P

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Nothing obvious about it to me! The only thing I know about reptiles is my mother-in-law.

I don't know about the dyes though - maybe some kind of food dye could theoretically be harmless? I just keep picturing technicolor lotls...(Folks, please do not try this at home!)

-Eva

Last edited:

kira

Reaction score
Hmmm the last thing I want is to have my beautiful wildtype axies go a earthy brown!!

The purple sand that I currently use is great!! It is ground quartz (I think!!) and has not caused any water or axie issues. So I will continue with it then.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!