Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Hi! Advice please on my set up! *doh*

Zandy94

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So today I bought my set up, which included all I need (sand, tank, filter, rocks/fake plant, and blood worms) but also came with a heater (which I will not use unless it's really cold). I think myself and my dad have made a few honest mistakes, so help would be appreciated! Also no Axolotl is currently inhabiting this or even purchased yet! I'll be getting it in the next couple of weeks.

Unfortunately, my dad dumped the sand in and filled the tank without swilling the sand through with the hose first outside. The water is currently murky (the sand is black) and has some bits floating on top. My dad said he's going to replace the water next week and swill the tank out again with hot water and re-fill it with fresh tap water that we will treat.

I was wondering if it's okay to scoop the excess from the top out, and replace the water without swilling the sand as it's already been in water? If not I will dig the sand out and swill it, as well as rinsing the tank. Is this ok? Any treatments I can buy to reverse this issue?

also my other questions are

Can I use conditioning supplies to de-toxin the water, or can Axi's live in tap water when the filter is flowing without treatments? I'm going to leave it running for quite a while (a week or so, maybe 5 days) before I add him. Recommended cheap UK brand?

Is it safe for me to stick my hand/arm in to smooth the sand/place decorations in? I just don't want any chemicals on my body to kill it

Will rinsing decorations with tap water, and inserting them in the tank damage the pH of the tank? (I'm buying testing strips really soon!)

I'm sorry if this seems a little 'dumb', I have done a lot of research but the pet shop owners have been telling me things other wise, and it's confusing me! :lame:

Thank you <3 <3

Jonjey

Banned
Reaction score
As for the sand, murkiness should go away within a couple days and a couple water changes, and murkiness doesn't hurt axolotls so if it's a little murky still by the time you get your axolotls then don't worry too much about it.
As for water conditioning, it's very important to use dechlorinator and conditioners (usually they're the same thing. Seachem Prime is most recommended brand) as tap water usually has some bad stuff in it that will get taken out by the conditioner. You'll always need to use it, for each water change, forever.
As for putting your hand in the tank, it's totally fine just wash your hands with just tap water first and dry them off. No soaps or chemicals as they can stay on your hands and come off in your tank. Same goes for lotions, creams, etc. Just rinse your hands well before hand.
And as for PH, axolotls aren't very sensitive to high PH, I hear they actually like higher PH levels (not crazy high, but you know what I mean.) and yes, rinsing stuff with tap water is fine, the tiny amount of tap water that will be on the decorations when you put them in the tank isn't going to hurt anything, simply dry them off a little and put them in.

Zandy94

Reaction score
Fantastic! Thank you :D I'm just worried there might be some harsh chemicals left in the sand as we didn't rinse it properly :/ I'll change the water in a few days and see how that goes!

Kaini

Reaction score
Also remember you must Cycle your tank before getting the animal. Cycling is an active process - you can't just leave your tank to sit for a few weeks and expect it to be ready for the animal.

Also do NOT use test trips - they're usually inaccurate and generally a waste of money. Pick up a liquid test kit.

Sweetie

Reaction score
How big will your axie be? If it is little (under five inches or so), a bare tank bottom is better than sand, as small axies will eat sand and can get a fatal impaction. If your axie is bigger, sand is fine, but avoid gravel (or anything that's smaller than the axie's head - not its mouth, its whole head).
Please read the link on Cycling in the above post carefully - it is the most important thing about keeping a pet in a fish tank. Two other suggestions. First, make sure the tank water stays below 20 degrees celcius. Second, feed your axie earthworms. Start a worm farm if you can, or dig them from somewhere you are certain no chemicals have been used. Earthworms are cheap, don't dirty the tank, and are balanced nutrition for your axie.
Enjoy life with a lotl. These little creatures will change your world! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!