Hello from Lancashire UK

coleonyx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pretty sure I had an account here many moons ago when I actually kept slimy things with tails, however I can't seem to retrieve any information and there is literally zero chance I can remember what details I used.

Anyway I'm a bloke in my mid 30s from the Fylde coast in Lancashire, UK. My first pets were Eastern newts which I got as a child after a prolonged period of parent pestering and I've had a few different newts and salamanders since then. For the last 8 years I've only kept reptiles however I fancy keeping terrestrial salamanders again so here I am!

I'd like a small terrestrial salamander, ideally Ambystoma Laterale but being realistic I will probably be keeping A. Opacum, something around that size and needs to be quite pretty. I'm not too clued up on what's being kept these days so I'm open to suggestions!

I'll be having a look around the forum for naturalistic setups as that's the way I'll be going, at least I'll have something nice to look as if the animal decides to spend most of it's life underground eating worms.

So I was getting some cork bark pieces for my girlfriend's spider at my local Reptile shop today when I stopped to look at the frog setups they have. Noticed a small terrarium on the bottom shelf so looked down and saw a sign advertising a Fire Salamander, had a quick peek through the glass and saw this little lady though:
A_Opacum.jpg

To be fair they pretty much only focus on overpriced royal/retic/burm morphs, tortoises and cresties so I appreciate Caudates are pretty low on their agenda (they haven't had a salamander in for about a year), luckily for me she hadn't been in the shop long as their temps are too high as was the lighting. She's currently in a temporary setup while I wait for her permanent home to arrive due to an incompetent courier.

So looks like I'm a salamander owner again a little earlier than I expected to be!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back