Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

T. karelini - conditions for newly-morphed newtlings

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have some T. karelini larvae that are on the verge of metamorphosis. What kind of set-up would be the ideal during and after morph? Do they like dirt/moss, or is a rock sufficient? I need to revamp the tank they are in (to insert a land/water divider), so they will need to be in some kind of plastic tub arrangement for a week or two.

During and after morph, how much time will they spend on water versus land? Will they still be willing to go back in the water to feed, or will they definately need land-based foods? I have heard that adult T.karelini can be "trained" to enter the water to feed, but will this be possible with the newly-morphed ones?

Any suggestions appreciated.

J

john

My two cents, but remember I'm not "experienced" with cresteds (never had metamorphs of Triturus karelinii so this is just my opinion and not based on experience with the species): personally, for the time around metamorphosis I wouldn't worry too much as long as they can emerge completely. Post metamorphosis though, I'd keep juveniles a semi-aquatic setup (75% land : 25% water would be a good balance in a large vivarium, I think, or more land in a smaller vivarium), with plenty of hiding places such as bark.

Crested newts and marbled newts are semi-aquatic throughout their lives, much more so than the smaller newts, though there is some variation within the crested group. You will find they are open to eating both in the water and out of it. It's not too difficult to raise terrestrial animals when compared to aquatic animals, as long as you're patient. Adult large-bodied newts (crested and marbleds) are generally quite aquatic so feeding them in the water isn't really a problem.

Some people do raise Crested/Marbled juveniles in a purely aquatic setup, but I don't subscribe to this methodolgy - I think the mixed habitat is the ideal. But that shouldn't stop you from trying.

What do the more experienced crested keepers think?

ryan

Reaction score
I'm probably going to put my lavae (ones that are about ready to metamorphosis) in a aquarium with about an inch or two of water. I'll have lots of rocks breaking the surface, and floating elodea. Once fully metomorphosis I'll put them in a terresterial setup, with a larg water dish, about an inch deep. Good luck Jennewt.

Ryan

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's an update, post-metamorphosis. I put them into a 50/50 land/water setup. About 2/3rds of them stay in the water almost all the time. About 1/3 of them stay on land all the time. The amazing thing is that the ones on land have developed narrow tails, while the ones in the water have developed broader, paddle-like tails.

I am wishing I had given them less land area in order to keep them all aquatic. It's easier to feed the aquatic ones.

al

Reaction score
I have found my young metamorphes karelini newts are simular to my carnifex juviniles. I keep them in a aquatic environment with a land area and con't to feed aquatic food to keep them used to the water. They hang out on land and then jump into the water to feed or when disturbed. I have raised T. carnifex in a sweater box with cork bark floating in 1 inch of water. I changed water 1-2 times week. They grew and sexually matured after 17-18 months.
I know of other breeders/keepers that keep them this way and get favorable results. When my T. carnifex grew to big for the sweater box, I transfered them to a 36 inch long aquarium with six inchs of water and rocks breaking the surface. It is very plant choked and they rarely go on land.
Al

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1