Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How do i change my axolotl in to a land salamander

AuraCantos

Reaction score
Not to sound rude, but why would you even want to? Axolotls very rarely morph, and when they do, it's a very stressful time for them. Most cases you hear of axolotls turning into their land-walking selves is when they are in very poor, unsatisfactory conditions. there have been cases where people use some sort of hormone/chemical in the water to FORCE them to morph. Again, this is VERY stressful for the axolotl and shouldn't be done.

Not only does it stress the animal out, but it also GREATLY decreases their lifespan. Treat your axolotl right, and it'll be around for 10-15 years.

Ken Worthington

Reaction score
I think the best answer to that question is to own an axolotl for a while (as a beautiful aquatic animal), fall in love with it, then ask yourself the same question in the future....
I believe that if an axolotl were to morph, it would decrease it's life-span significantly for a start.....
The axolotls kept for scientific study in labs (where inducing morphs artificially might have a place) are thought-of somewhat differently to the 'pet' axototl upon which this forum is generally based.
Feel free to browse the forum and ask any questions :)

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If you want a terrestrial salamander, why not just BUY a terrestrial salamander, rather than forcing metamorphosis on an axolotl?

Crysta

Reaction score
You have these animals, and you don't have the first clue about them, the only thing I have to suggest to you is to give these creatures away, to someone who actually cares in the slightest for them.

And do some research before you commit to looking after any animal in the future.

XeryusTC

Reaction score
Trying to metamorphose your axolotl is VERY likely to just kill it straight away and if it doesn't then it is very unlikely that your axolotl will make it to the two year mark. All the cases that I've stumbled upon during my research have had axolotls that only lived one to one and a half years long after metamorphosis. It is quit sad as axolotls can easily live up to 15 years if you take proper care of them. And after all, isn't having a pet that lives longer not more fun? IMO it is.

siona

Reaction score
If you want a terrestrial salamander, why not just BUY a terrestrial salamander, rather than forcing metamorphosis on an axolotl?

Quite right! They're not like pokemon you know! :mad:

zoezakella

Reaction score
Same words as Kaysie and I would seriously re think having an axie they are amazing so please dont hurt one!!! :mad:

water dawg

Reaction score
what can i do turn my axolotl in to a land salamander??:confused::confused:
it was just a dammm!!! question i was never going to do this!!!!:angry::angry::evil: THANKS TO THE NICE PEOPLE WHO ANSWERED NICELY THANKS:happy::happy:;)

HappySkittles

Reaction score
people react a certain way to certain questions
when someone asks a question about an animal that can mean life or death on a website that has the information screaming at you, people responding arent going to be all flowers and sunshine

especially if a possible answer to that question means death for the animal

DeCypher

Reaction score
You should have researched it before you bought it. If you want a terrestrial salamander, why not get a Tiger Salamander? You should give the Axolotl to someone who is more capable of caring for it, though.

In no way am I trying to offend you. :D

mewsie

Reaction score
it was just a dammm!!! question i was never going to do this!!!!:angry::angry::evil: THANKS TO THE NICE PEOPLE WHO ANSWERED NICELY THANKS:happy::happy:;)

Dude, your 'just a question' requested for the process for something which would most likely kill your axolotl. You asked for yourself, relating to your own axolotl. What did you expect people would think? The rest of your posts here so far have shown you have a lot yet to learn, and the people of this forum care about every single axolotl (etc ;)) that they hear about.

Unless you are simply trolling, I suggest you stop and think for that extra second or two before you post.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you were really interested, you could have done a search before posting this question...then you could have avoided all the unsupportive comments. This topic has been frequently discussed on the forum and if you had done some research, you would understand why it is upsetting and offensive to the community. It's cruel, shortens their life span, is unecessary, and as has been stated (and is the best reply for this): If you wanted a terrestrial salamander, you should have gotten one. The best way to change your axolotl into a land salamander is to rehome it with someone who appreciates it for what it is, and then getting a terrestrial salamander. But do some reading and research first. This site and our sister site, caudata culture, is full of information on most all species and issues.

oceanblue

Reaction score
My views on morphing axolotls have themselves changed as I researched about the process. Anyone attempting morphing should use hormones in the right dose and at the right size if they are to avoid creating a sickly morph.

If done right the result is a robust tiger salamander like creature. If done wrong through stupidity or ignorance then you are being cruel. The hormone is not usually available without prescription in most countries.

Why have a tiger salamander taken from the wild and shipped halfway round the world when you can have a captive raised morphed axolotl?

Axolotls are one of the easiest amphibians to keep because they do not usually morph. It is usually easiest to accept this is what they are but I really like my artificially morphed at the moment thriving axolotl.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1