Help with an ID

miykael81

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I took my son on a little afternoon herping trip yesterday and we found lots of great little friends to pose for the camera, but there was one I could not ID. I have found lots of these over the last 2 years, but never actually was able to scoop it up in time to get a photo.

Can anyone help me figure out what this is? I checked the nature website that has an "e" in front of it for help, but nothing seemed to match. I know from Leopard Geckos that sometimes juveniles look different than adults, and I also know sometimes adult salamanders can loose or have faded patterns, but this guy just throws me. I am assuming he is a Plethedontid of some sort.

A little info to help figure out what he is:
Found under a flat rock in a stream, in a mountain area, heavily forested (but near the bottom of the mountain). The state was MD.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

IMG_00261.jpg

I think it´s a Desmognathus, but no idea on the species...

Hopefully someone who is more familiar with american species will be able to tell.

I guess they're D.fuscus almost sure. Still you may wait for Justin is the one to tell you with no doubts..

What surprised me are the blue speckles along the lower sides.

I wondered about duskys but the color seems so off.

What county in Maryland? Could be Desmognathus fuscus or ochrophaeus, but probably fuscus. They are very difficult to differentiate in older adults. The county might tell you for certain which it is.

Tim

I believe this would be considered Frederick county MD.

Does anyone have any other dusky photos that are black with blue speckles though? Is this an indicator of a youthful one?

I agree with jorgo and Tim (Desmognathus fuscus).

Duskies will get darker as they age and finding an old one makes ID a pain where sp overlap. Their patterns and color also vary considerably, I always find something I haven't seen before with desmogs.

The tail shape and habitat define it clearly as D.fuscus.

Color and pattern can be very variable in Desmognathus, and often largely similar between species. For most herps, morphology is FAR more reliable than color. In this case, the relatively northern location automatically limits the number of species, the heavy jaw muscles identify a Desmogathus, and both the flattened tail and the aquatic collecting site limit the choice to D.fuscus.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back